We measure at the 8-pin power connector, and we see some pretty high power consumption in Intel Burn Test. Running Prime95, we found the CPU pulled almost 40W more than what we have seen here. Blender resulted in the same results we see here. Now, here is the thing, we saw XTU trigger current limit; however, we talked to ASRock who told us they removed power limits for this BIOS, and that it must be an error.
As with the 9th generation S-series CPU you can change the Tjmax offset on these new CPUs. We didn't do this; instead we treated it normally and went to see how high we could get the CPU and have it pass HandBrake 4K rendering as we do with all CPUs. We set input voltage to 2.1v; this is required to unleash performance when overclocking, if you leave it at 1.8v your CPU will be power constrained while it pretends to run unleashed at higher frequencies.
We then initially set a VCore of 1.25v, but we found we could go up to 1.3v with the same temperatures as the 7980XE. We enabled XMP set all core to 4.7GHz, and we didn't set any offsets, but you can do that if you like. We were able to get 4.7GHz out of the CPU, but we could have gone higher and had it pass our test, but we didn't because we don't want to give users the impression they can expect 5GHz overclocks with this CPU running Prime95 on high-end water cooling. I don't think most people could find a way to cool 500W with water. However, we will say to expect a few hundredMHz higher than the 7980XE, as this is basically a delidded 7980XE.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Intel stacks CPU, DRAM, and IO into one package with FOVEROS
- Intel Xe: scalable graphics architecture aims for PETAFLOPS
- Intel Sunny Cove uArch: Deeper, Wider, Smarter. Bye Skylake!
- Survival instinct questioned in new Left Alive trailer
- Devil May Cry 5 - HYDE Collaboration trailer released
- The Best Zero Gravity Chair of 2018 - Your Best Digs
- How Does Garcinia Shaping Pro Work?
- Fallout 76 Review: Atomic Waste
- My Asus TUF FX504GD (a gaming laptop) crashes everytime I launch high end games
- Load Up and Get Necrolyzed, GUNGRAVE VR Launches for PlayStation VR Today
- En Masse Entertainment Catches and Releases the 'BAF Masters' Update on TERA PC, Live Alongside Wintera Events Today
- 'MK Kollective' to Relaunch with Original Content from New Ambassadors in Celebration of Mortal Kombat 11
- Forge A Path To Survival In Left Alive
- SAIRENTO VR slashes onto PSVR early 2019