Intel's high-end desktop processors are getting an upgrade today as Intel launches the 9980XE and we assume other 9th generation X-series processors. Lower-end SKUs in the X-series family are getting PCI-E lane bumps, as well as solder thermal interface material and frequency bumps.
These improvements are pretty much what people wanted in the original X-series of CPUs, which were 7th generation processors. The funny part of all this is that the stepping and family are the same between the 7th and 9th generation X-series CPUs, at least when it comes to the 9980XE. Let's see what the 9980XE has to offer over the powerful 7980XE.
The i9-9980XE has the same 18 cores and 36 threads and the same cache size and TDP (165W) as the 7980XE. However, we find a 400MHz base frequency bump (now 3GHz), a 200MHz Turbo Boost 2.0 bump (now 4.4GHz), and a 100MHz Turbo Boost Max 3.0 bump (now 4.5GHz).
The new CPU uses solder based thermal interface material, so that's partially how Intel is reaching those frequency increases. There is one interesting difference; Intel has reduced Tjmax from 94C to 84C for the 9980XE.
The Core i9-9900K is priced at $1979.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at the Amazon website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at the Amazon UK website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at the Amazon Canada website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The CPU and Test Setup]
- Page 3 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 4 [Performance: Blender, Handbrake Video Transcoding & More]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 6 [Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V & More]
- Page 7 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 8 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]