The DS1618+ is a NAS aimed to fill the 6-bay gap in Synology's portfolio. Build quality is certainly up to par for a DS+ platform as it follows the same enclosure design we have seen in the past along with being user friendly for memory upgrades. Tool less drive bays remain a staple with the DS1618+ and connectivity options haven't changed if you are coming from the 1517+ or 1817+. Actually, it appears all that has changed moving into this new platform is the bump to the latest Intel Atom and 4GB of memory is now default over 2GB in past systems, and of course drive bays.
Performance was on par with expectations in nearly every category, we did see some oddball moments when testing RAID 5 in single Client and Workloads but overall the 1618+ performed as expected. Single Client we found peak numbers for the most part in RAID 0. Playback, Record and File Copy to NAS reached 98, 117 and 115 MB/s respectively and moving to RAID 6 we found similar performance in record and file copy. Sequential file performance saw only small losses when moving between RAID modes with the peak being 118 MB/s and the lowest 107 MB/s.
Workloads were strong for the 1618+ in RAID 0, outperforming the 918 and 418 of last year and trading blows with the 7004T from Asustor. RAID 5 seems to take a hit for some reason but still performing similar to the 918+. RAID 6 had a small bounce back in performance getting the 1618+ close to the 7004T and much quicker than the 918+.
DSM 6.2 is an absolute great platform to work with, its easily my favorite platform with full app access and they are continually improving it with new features alongside a pretty active community.
Overall, for me the 1618+ is a solid NAS platform with the latest features but its hard to recommend over the DS1817 that's just $50 USD more with dual 10Gbe out of the box.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Overall TweakTown Rating||83%|
The Bottom Line: For those in the market for a 6-bay platform, the latest from Synology doesn't dissapoint as the 1618+ offers the latest technology with plenty of expansion capability.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Synology DS1618+ Six-Bay NAS retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Synology DS1618+ Six-Bay NAS retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Synology DS1618+ NAS Appliance]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Web Management]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Intellivision's new $150 console has online store, new games
- Steam grows to 90 million monthly active users
- Intel M.2 Optane SSD 905P Appears On Newegg
- Soulcalibur VI physical sales crater, the rise of digital
- Dynasty Warriors 9 online and local co-op update/demo Nov 1
- Samsung Bar Plus 256GB Flash Drive Review
- Buffalo Linkstation 520 2-Bay NAS Review
- How To Find Out Motherboard?
- I'm in a gaming rut please help.
- GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Master (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Palit introduces the reinvented GeForce RTX 2070 Dual
- Cooler Master Unveils the C700P Carbon
- EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 - Now Available for Order
- SP Launches New Pocket-Sized Power Banks
- Tesla vs Lovecraft Pre-Orders Start on iOS - Release date is 25th Oct