Next-Gen Memory: GDDR6
NVIDIA's new GeForce RTX 20 series graphics cards are the first ever to make use of GDDR6 memory technology, of which NVIDIA has 11GB on the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti that kicks off at 14Gbps of memory bandwidth.
This type of memory bandwidth is incredibly important as the resolution of your games scale, with 4K really needing the increased GPU horsepower and especially the much faster memory. 11GB of next-gen GDDR6 at 14Gbps is absolutely insane, making the 10Gbps of the GTX 1080 and 11Gbps of the GTX 1080 Ti look slow in comparison.
The 11GB of GDDR6 sits on a large 352-bit memory bus (the same width as the GTX 1080 Ti) with 11 x 32-bit memory controllers providing 616GB/sec of memory bandwidth, a large 27% increase over the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti and its 484GB/sec of memory bandwidth with GDDR5X. NVIDIA is no stranger to the bleeding edge of memory technologies, as they were first to market with GPUs that packed GDDR5X and HBM2 memory. Turing is the first GPU to market to use GDDR6, and it truly is a big leap.
NVIDIA explains GDDR6 as the "next big advance in high-bandwidth GDDR DRAM memory design", something that is enhanced "with many high-speed SerDes and RF techniques, GDDR6 memory interface circuits in Turing GPUs have been completely redesigned for speed, power efficiency, and noise reduction. This new interface design comes with many new circuit and signal training improvements that minimize noise and variations due to process, temperature, and supply voltage. Extensive clock gating was used to minimize power consumption during periods of lower utilization, resulting in significant overall power efficiency improvement. Turing's GDDR6 memory subsystem delivers 14 Gbps signaling rates and 20% power efficiency improvement over GDDR5X memory used in Pascal GPUs".
Turing's package and board designs were "carefully crafted" to handle the higher speed requirements, something that is helped along with a huge 40% reduction in signal crosstalk, which NVIDIA says is "one of the most severe impairments in large memory systems". NVIDIA says that "every aspect of the memory subsystem was carefully crafted to meet the demanding standards that are required for such high frequency operation. Every signal in the design was carefully optimized to provide the cleanest memory interface signaling as possible".
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Pricing/Availability]
- Page 2 [Specs: Turing GPUs]
- Page 3 [Specs: GDDR6 Memory]
- Page 4 [New Look, New Cooler, New GeForce]
- Page 5 [Detailed Look]
- Page 6 [Turing: NVLink Multi-GPU Tech]
- Page 7 [Turing: RT Cores & Tensor Cores]
- Page 8 [DLSS: Deep Learning Magic & NGX]
- Page 9 [AI To Power The Future Of Gaming]
- Page 10 [WTF IS RTX-OPS]
- Page 11 [GPU Boost 4.0 & NVIDIA Scanner]
- Page 12 [Test System Specs]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - 1080p]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - 1440p]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - 3440x1440]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - 4K]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - 8K]
- Page 19 [Overclocking]
- Page 20 [Heat, Power, Noise]
- Page 21 [Unrivaled Performance]
- Page 22 [More Coming Soon & Final Thoughts 1.0]
- Page 23 [Should You Buy It? & Final Thoughts 2.0]
- Page 24 [What Will AMD Do & Final Thoughts 3.0]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Mortal Kombat 11 may have cosmetic monetization
- Sapphire launches new AMD RX 570 16GB crypto mining card
- Fallout 76 isn't going free-to-play
- Anthem microtransactions detailed
- Mortal Kombat 11 to feature cross-play after initial launch
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD Review - The 96-Layer Refresh
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- Two Hat Is Changing the Landscape of Content Moderation With New Image Recognition Technology
- Top Executives Launch Blockchain-Powered Video Game Publishing Company
- Announcing Destiny Chaser's Global Launch!
- Dean Trotman Joins Sumo Digital as Commercial Director
- SmuggleCraft launches on Nintendo Switch 1/25