NVIDIA has made the most overclockable GeForce graphics card yet with the new RTX 20 series, with the company openly embracing overclocking as a whole and making it easier than ever to overclock. We have the refreshed GPU Boost 4.0 technology and NVIDIA Scanner, software that will overclock your GPU for you... yeah, and it's not even powered by AI, yet.
GPU Boost 4.0
There have been changes made to GPU Boost technology with NVIDIA introducing GPU Boost 4.0 in the new Turing GPU architecture. GPU Boost 4.0 allows users to manually adjust the algorithms that GPU Boost uses to dial in the GPU clock. This gives users ultimate control over their new GPU, in more ways than one.
GPU Boost 3.0 launched with the Pascal GPU architecture and the GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 back in May 2017, where the Power Target sets the power limit for the GPU. The diagram above shows how the GPU clock is held back because the total power is already at that level, or lower.
If the power and temperature are below their intended targets, the GPU clock speeds won't hit a ceiling - but it's inevitable. If a typical boost GPU clock is hit and the temperature of the card starts climbing, GPU clocks get capped after the software capping temperature is reached. This all changes with GPU Boost 4.0 technology.
GPU Boost 4.0 takes overclocking to the next level by giving users access to the algorithms for GPU Boost itself, instead of them sitting inside of the driver with GPU Boost 3.0. NVIDIA says the biggest benefit with temperature on GPU Boost 4.0 is that where inflection points have been added.
Previously, the temperature was a straight line that dropped down next to Base Clock, but now it will holy the Boost Clock where you've overclocked it under higher temperatures before a second temp target (now T2) is hit, after which the GPU clocks will drop.
This means you can have additional performance from overclocking, and then if you spin the fans up on your GeForce RTX 20 series graphics card or have great airflow in your case, as long as you can keep the temperatures down. This should open up some doors for serious overclockers, with OC records surely reaching new heights with GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and GPU Boost 4.0 technology.
NVIDIA Scanner = Auto OC!
Automatic overclocking... it's here, right now with the new GeForce RTX series graphics cards. NVIDIA will have this technology inside of multiple AIB partners' software, with the company using EVGA's PrecisionX1 (which we had in early form for our review) and it works beautifully.
EVGA did a full re-design of their GPU management tool with PrecisionX1, where all of the inflection points in the Temp Tuner are editable, giving users full control of GPU Boost. We can expect new software to really push overclocking to the next level thanks to GPU Boost 4.0 and NVIDIA Scanner, where it will make it easier than ever for new users to overclock their graphics cards.
Overclocking your new RTX 20 series graphics card can take between 10-20 minutes to run, where it will launch a separate thread to test overclocking on the GPU. It will run a mathematical algorithm that tries to find single- and multi-bit failures so it can provide 100% stability at OC speeds. You can start the NVIDIA Scanner and stop it mid way through it you wanted to play a game, and then resume your overclocking adventures afterwards, too.
The power and temperature sliders have much more control over your maximum GPU clocks than ever before, so be sure to play around with them for maximum OC. I pushed my RTX 2080 Ti FE sample up to 2GHz at the 65-68C range with 100% fan speeds, +123 power and the GPU temps allowed to hit 88C. Not bad for the first few hours of playing with it.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Pricing/Availability]
- Page 2 [Specs: Turing GPUs]
- Page 3 [Specs: GDDR6 Memory]
- Page 4 [New Look, New Cooler, New GeForce]
- Page 5 [Detailed Look]
- Page 6 [Turing: NVLink Multi-GPU Tech]
- Page 7 [Turing: RT Cores & Tensor Cores]
- Page 8 [DLSS: Deep Learning Magic & NGX]
- Page 9 [AI To Power The Future Of Gaming]
- Page 10 [WTF IS RTX-OPS]
- Page 11 [GPU Boost 4.0 & NVIDIA Scanner]
- Page 12 [Test System Specs]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - 1080p]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - 1440p]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - 3440x1440]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - 4K]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - 8K]
- Page 19 [Overclocking]
- Page 20 [Heat, Power, Noise]
- Page 21 [Unrivaled Performance]
- Page 22 [More Coming Soon & Final Thoughts 1.0]
- Page 23 [Should You Buy It? & Final Thoughts 2.0]
- Page 24 [What Will AMD Do & Final Thoughts 3.0]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Far Cry New Dawn official PC requirements released
- 2K and NBA to smooth over $1b rights extension deal
- Death Stranding demo leaves Guerrilla Games 'so impressed'
- Capcom showcase 'Tofu' in Resident Evil 2 Remake screenshots
- COD: Black Ops 4 - Blackout Battle Royale mode goes F2P
- Pcie M.2 NVMe (1100mb/s as storage, 400mb/s in os)
- DC: Aquaman Cinema Review
- Nokia's Service Operations Center powers Telefonica UK's drive towards customer-centric operations
- Black Desert Online's Battle Royale mode enters Early Access today
- Roblox hires British online safety expert Laura Higgins to lead new digital civility initiative
- HyperX Announces 2019 We're All Gamers Ad Campaign Including Celebrity Influencers Post Malone, Gordon Hayward, Joel Embiid, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pokimane, Shroud, Daigo, De'Aaron Fox and Rush
- Macrotis: A Mother's Journey Releases this upcoming February 8th!