BIOS and Overclocking
Being a budget based board, we weren't holding any hopes for a great deal of overclocking options, however, we were greatly surprised to find that EPoX is supporting overclockers even on the Sempron level of the K8 architecture.
The standard blue AWARD BIOS 6.0 is used to power the basic functions of the board. Once in BIOS you are greeted with a very standard and familiar setup. EPoX places its overclocking features under the "Power BIOS Feature" menu. From here all the overclocking options can be selected to the user's desire.
First off there is no auto overclocking on the EPoX 8NPA SLI. This is something we would like to see EPoX introduce, as auto clocking as we like to call it is now starting to take off as a viable alternative to manually setting the overclock parameters.
First on the list is the CPU frequency. Contrary to popular belief, AMD K8 CPU's "DO" have a front side bus, this is what the CPU die uses to connect to the memory controller built onto the CPU die with. This frequency is a standard 200MHz across the board, from there, the LDT or Hypertransport multiplier is used in order to get the link speed from the CPU to the external Northbridge. On the EPoX board, you can change the internal FSB frequency from 200MHz up to a maximum of 450MHz in 1MHz increments. While the end speed is simply not possible with today's CPU's, it's nice to see a wide selection provided.
Next frequency adjustable setting is the PCIE clock. This gives you control of the PCI Express frequency. Settings range from 100MHz up to a max of 145MHz in 1MHz increments. For best stability, leave the PCIE clock at 100MHz, as PCI Express buses are extremely sensitive to speed changes, even 110MHz causes system crashes, a great feature to lock this EPoX has done.
Next is the CPU Ratio control. AMD allows you to change your multiplier from your CPU default to a lower setting. You can't go up (only Athlon FX can do this) but you can lower the multiplier in order to raise the FSB without increasing CPU clock to insane and impossible clock speeds.
Now we get to voltage settings, the all important part of the Overclocking setup.
CPU voltage can be adjusted from the CPU default up to a maximum of 0.025v above standard in 0.005v increments. Next comes the DIMM voltage, and EPoX has given a good range here. DIMM voltage ranges from 2.5v up to 3.2v in 0.1v increments. This is an extremely generous range. Finally is the chipset voltage which can be adjusted from 1.5v up to a max of 1.8v in 0.1v increments.
With all these settings using our AMD Sempron 64 3000+, we managed to clock the CPU to a maximum of 2.12Ghz with CPU voltage at max, memory voltage at 2.9v, LDT link speed at 3x. Overall this was a good clock from 1.8GHz to 2.1GHz; however, using a budget CPU does limit ones overclocking ability.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Package and Contents]
- Page 4 [The Motherboard]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Series]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ONRUSH gameplay trailer reveals new game modes
- YouTube star John 'TotalBiscuit' Bain has died age 33
- God of War reaches a massive 5 million units sold
- The Wolf Among Us Season Two hit with 2019 delay
- Nintendo's '2nd Unit Set' for the Switch is dockless, $230
- the best value, budget upgrade for me
- best value budget upgrade path
- Buy 3 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 SM-G960UZKAXAA 128GB $1.422
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit