Serious VRM: Here we have one heck of a VRM. EVGA deploys the best Intersil has to offer with their new line of digital PWMs and 60A power stages in a 12-phase configuration. They took things a step further with a large VRM heat sink that uses real fins instead of more fancy solid blocks. The rear of the PCB also has a huge thermal pad to help control some of the heat coming off the backside o the motherboard. To top things off, we find two small fans to cool down the fins.
Coolest Motherboard: The X299 Dark has to be THE COOLEST motherboard we have seen, at least on the hardware side of things, on the X299 platform. While many find RGB LEDs cool, we like the gold plated edges of the PCB, unique selective gold plating of certain PCB areas, and the next level of CPU booting diagnostics. The motherboard was built to be unique, beautiful, and handy. EVGA even includes a PCB without any copper that you can use to create a test bench for the motherboard.
OC Features: A four-digit post code display, optimized memory routing, triple BIOS, PCI-E disable switches and an underlying diagnostic system top the charts as some of the most important OC features.
Features: The X299 Dark is one of the last motherboards to utilize Creative's Core3Di audio processor. We also find dual Intel LAN on the rear IO, two U.2 ports, and USB 3.1, which top of the list of the motherboard's features.
Four DIMMs : While having only four DIMMs increases overclocking capabilities of DRAM on the motherboard, it's only half the number we find on most X299 motherboards.
EVGA's X299 Dark is one of our favorite motherboards; not only because its build quality is so impressive you might have to register it as a weapon in some countries, but also because it's soundly engineered down to the last circuit. EVGA's engineers took things to the next level with this motherboard, and through our visual inspection, we saw over-engineering all over the place, including the VRMs.
Now, some people are a bit wary about UEFIs from smaller vendors since they do not have the same resources as the larger ones, but following the detailed overclocking guide written by EVGA's "TiN" made overclocking significantly easier. To be honest, we went into this expecting a lot because of EVGA's "K|NGP|N " promise that would it be a really good motherboard, and all of our expectations were met or exceeded in many ways.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Overall TweakTown Rating||95%|
The Bottom Line: Want a motherboard with the best quality components, gold plating, and solid documentation and support; the X299 Dark might be the perfect motherboard for you.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and X299 Dark Overview]
- Page 3 [EVGA X299 Dark Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [EVGA X299 Dark Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [VRM and System Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bungie: Activision let us do awesome things with Destiny
- Disney+ includes free 4K streaming, supports 4 simultaneous streams
- Bandai Namco: Epic Store exclusivity isn't our vision
- El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie announced, drops October 11 on Netflix
- The best destruction physics in a game EVER, also features ray tracing
- Lian Li TU150 Mini-ITX Chassis Review
- SteelSeries Arctis 9X Wireless Headset Review
- Seagate Gears 5TB Game Drive Review
- TRENDnet USB-C 2.5Gbe Network Adapter Review
- Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe M.2 SSD Review
- Snooker 19, the first official snooker game in a generation, is out now on Nintendo Switch
- Ultimate Fishing Simulator VR will debut in August
- Leyou Technologies Announces 2019 Interim Results
- Thermaltake A700 Aluminum Tempered Glass Edition Full Tower Chassis Now Available Simplicity Creates Its Own Path
- 2019 Thermaltake CaseMOD Invitational Season 2 Brings Twelve Top Modders Worldwide Together for the New Creation of the Core P5 V2 Chassis Battle for the Best