Our results here had to be investigated, and we found that the 10W difference is mainly due to differences in the VRM of the motherboard used to test either CPU. That 109W number is very close to the TDP rating, so at least there is no power cheating going on here.
Now, in the past, we have found that when the maximum single-core Turbo is randomly assigned to a core instead of statically (as in statically assigned CPU cores), that all cores can operate at the maximum at the same time. So if an 8700K can hit 4.7GHz on a single core, then all 8700Ks that we test can hit 4.7GHz with all cores at the same time. In fact, that's what multi-core enhancement does.
In this case, that should be 5GHz on all cores with low voltages, and we were able to achieve 5GHz on all cores with 1.25v. However, we wanted to go higher, and we were able to get 5.1GHz all cores with 1.3v, and without going into throttle range. We were able to boot into Windows at 5.2GHz, but the CPU could not pass out AVX based HandBrake stability testing. With better cooling, it should be possible to stabilize this CPU at 5.2Ghz, and with an easy de-lid, we see this CPU hitting 5.3GHz, or maybe even 5.4GHz.
Last updated: Nov 15, 2019 at 01:16 pm CST
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The CPU and Test Setup]
- Page 3 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake, ScienceMark & More]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 6 [Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V & More]
- Page 7 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 8 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]