Strong VRM: With 60A power stages, a digital PWM, and ten phases just for the VCore, the VRM on this motherboard is top notch and should handle any Ryzen 2nd Generation overclock with ease. ASUS also put the SoC phases in between the CPU phases to help balance out thermals.
Dual x4 PCI-E 3.0 M.2: The Crosshair VII Hero is one of the only AM4 motherboards with two M.2 slots that both offer x4 PCI-E 3.0. There are many that offer one M.2 slot operating at x4 PCI-E 3.0, and some with a second slot operating at x4 or x2 PCI-E 2.0, but I haven't seen one yet with PCI-E 3.0.
Lots of USB: The rear IO offers up a whopping twelve USB ports. Eight of them are USB 3.0, two are USB 3.1 (one is type-C), and two are USB 2.0. The motherboard has some of the most rear IO USB I have seen in recent times.
Lots of RGB and Fan Control: You get a total of four RGB LED headers, two are addressable, and two are RGB. You also get multiple built-in RGB LEDs that are integrated in a sleek manner. The motherboard also offers up a whopping eight fan headers, and it has a header for the fan extension card. The motherboard also carries watercooling sensor headers.
Using top M.2 slot will reduce GPU bandwidth: The top M.2 slot is the only M.2 slot with a heat sink, but it's also the slot that will reduce the two x16 slots connected to the GPU to a solid x8/x4 from x16/x0. While the performance difference between x16 and x8 isn't that huge, most people will install into that M.2 slot since it has a heat sink and not notice the bandwidth decrease.
Pricey: At $299.99, it's one of the most expensive X470 motherboards.
The ASUS Crosshair VII Hero is one of few high-end motherboards with a solid legacy, and it definitely fulfills its legacy. ASUS went above and beyond to include many of its latest OC features such as slow mode switch, retry button, safe boot button, and temperature probe hole in the socket.
However, they also went above and moved around phases to decrease VRM temperatures, increase voltage reporting accuracy by adding a differential OP amp (currently available through BIOS or ASUS software), and even went ahead and added in technology allowing users to change the CPU's BCLK separate from that of other components (like DRAM or PCI-E).
ASUS also used a BIOS ROM twice the normal size, to "future proof" the motherboard. All of these enhancements to the Crosshair VII Hero make it one of the most unique X470 motherboards, and an excellent choice if you want a solid high-end X470 motherboard.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Overall TweakTown Rating||94%|
The Bottom Line: The Crosshair VII Hero is one of the most well-equipped X470 motherboards with many custom unique features you won't find elsewhere.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ASUS Crosshair VII Hero (AMD X470) Motherboard retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The ASUS Crosshair VII Hero (AMD X470) Motherboard retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Crosshair VII Hero Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS Crosshair VII Hero Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS Crosshair VII Hero Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Detroit: Become Human sells 2 million+ units since May 2018
- Project Stream testers get free copy of AC: Odyssey
- Google's Project Stream is the future of gaming
- EA folds Battlefront II into its subscription services
- Red Dead Online microtransactions are live
- https www.supplementcyclopedia.com mydxadryl-male-enhancement-canada
- Symbaroum: Yndaros - The Darkest Star expansion Released Today
- Enjoy the Winter Season of R.O.H.A.N.: Blood Feud
- Warlords Awakening release surprises for Christmas
- The Switchblade Christmas Update Is Out Now
- Great Britain & Ireland DLC Out Now For Railway Empire