Cooler and Platform Improvements
AMD also includes the Wraith Prism with the 2700X, and it's actually a very beefy cooler, perhaps the beefiest included with a CPU. It also has some neat RGB LEDs. I was told it's rated for 130W. The new cooler offers direct cooper to heat spreader contact, and it works quite well. It might be the most impressive in-box cooler we have ever seen. The RGBs are actually quite nice as well.
AMD is also offering X470 motherboards along with the new processors. These new X470 motherboards have improved VRMs for overclocking, and many of them should offer much better memory overclocking. A lot of bugs and problems in the X370 chipset were solved as well, and vendors have done some interesting things on their new boards. You will also get out of the box support for the new 2000 series motherboards, while a 300-series chipset might require a BIOS flash. Now, here is the kicker, if you have a motherboard that has a BIOS compatible with Raven Ridge, you will have boot up support. That means you will be able to boot up into the BIOS (but not anything more) to perform a BIOS flash to fully support the new CPUs.
AMD has also improved Ryzen Master to version 1.3. They have added on-die OC detection, so using each core's individual characteristics they can tell you which core is best. The core with the gold star is your best, then the silver star, and then those with a round silver circle are 3rd best. You will also get per CCX overclocking, a built-in stability tester, and support for Precision Boost Overdrive, which is like multi-core enhancement for AMD. Precision Boost Overdrive can also be found in the AMD CBS menu in the UEFI under platform features. AMD also added in three metrics that measure the motherboard's VRM performance, although that is self-reported by the PWM.
AMD also took a decent amount of time to introduce us to SenseMI, which utilized software to improve the performance of data storage. It should greatly accelerate a hard disk drive while offering NAND-like speeds. It's available with X470 motherboards.
The software will basically combine your storage tiers with RAM so that you could fuse together a 256GB SSD, a 2TB HDD, and 2GB of RAM into a single drive. It also supports the use of Optane memory, which has a similar function on Intel platforms.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Process and Product Improvements]
- Page 3 [Cooler and Platform Improvements]
- Page 4 [The CPUs and Coolers]
- Page 5 [Test Setup]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake and More]
- Page 8 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and More]
- Page 9 [Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider and More]
- Page 10 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Anthem's new patch adds replayable missions, tweaks loot
- NVIDIA better celebrate 4/20 with GeForce 420.00 drivers
- Like Twin Peaks and X-Files? Check out Remedy's Control
- Why EA is firing 350 employees: it's all about business
- Hitman 2 'Expansion Pass' update adds DX12 support, March 26
- Fan xpert 4 resets at every restart
- H81M-C/CSM and Haswell refresh
- H81M-C/CSM and Haswell refresh
- The Division 2 Benchmarked: 20 Graphics Cards Tested
- MSI MEG X399 CREATION (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- Dead Cells New, Free DLC 'Rise of the Giant' Animated Trailer Showcases All New Ways to Die in Dead Cells
- Morel Audio releases Hogtalare Speaker System
- Introducing New Streaming Bundles From BLD by NZXT
- Stylish Turn Based RPG Grimshade out today on Steam
- Othercide Reveals New Gameplay Trailer