Process and Product Improvements
AMD is using Global Foundries 12nm LP process for their new CPUs. AMD has reported a 250MHz lift in clocks, with all core overclockers around 4.2GHz. We also see an estimated 50mv reduction at any clock, so if you were able to maintain 4GHz at 1.35v on a 1800X, then you should be able to do 4GHz at 1.3v with a 2700X.
The chart above shows that at the same clock speed (3.5Ghz) the 2600X uses 11% less power than the 1600X. At the same power (65W), it offers 16% better performance. These gains are impressive.
Major improvements were made to improve latency, both in the cache and memory. One of Ryzen's biggest problems was latency, and it seems that they have sped this up. They were able to reconfigure different transistors with higher performance but higher leakage in certain pathways to improve overall latency performance that helps IPC. AMD states they have gained 3% more IPC out of the 2700X compared to the 1800X.
AMD also maintained a solder internal heat spreader, which should make many people quite happy since it will help with overclocking.
AMD is also offering up Precision Boost 2, which has made a big difference in regards to overall performance. On the 1800X you would get two cores boosted up to maximum, and then once you used more than three threads, the CPU would drop to a significantly lower multiplier. That isn't the case anymore, the CPU won't just automatically drop frequencies because of thread usage, it will scale more linearly, and this is due to the improved process allowing for higher frequencies.
Now, we know that Precision Boost 2 will scale cores depending on thread usage much better than it's predecessor, but now we will talk a bit about XFR 2. Extended Frequency Range 2 utilizes the CPU's internal sensors, especially temperature, to allow for higher performance. If you cool down the processor well, it will basically overclock itself up safely. With the 130W capable Wraith Prism, you will get 4% more performance than if you used a 95W cooler. If you reduce ambient temperature even more with a beefier cooler, you can get 7% more performance with XFR 2.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Process and Product Improvements]
- Page 3 [Cooler and Platform Improvements]
- Page 4 [The CPUs and Coolers]
- Page 5 [Test Setup]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake and More]
- Page 8 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and More]
- Page 9 [Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider and More]
- Page 10 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6 creative director leaves, should we be concerned?
- New Obi-Wan Star Wars show coming on Disney+, Ewan McGregor to star
- Epic Games Store is changing for the better
- Destiny 2's crunch will help streamline Destiny 3
- RNGesus blesses Destiny 2 with new expansive Armor 2.0 update
- GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Xtreme (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- COLORFUL iGame GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Vulcan X OC-V Review
- BIOS 5.40 Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4
- Problems during Start Up
- Animoca secures deal with Versus Systems to drive in-game revenue and player engagement
- Viotek Launches LinQ Portable Touchscreen Monitors
- SK hynix Unveils 'Gold S31' Consumer Solid-State Drive on Amazon
- Final Assault coming to PSVR in Q4 2019
- Veteran Video Games Industry Leader Kate Edwards Joins Global Game Jam as Executive Director