So, you want more capacity and better performance from Intel's Intel's Optane SSD 800P? It's easy to accomplish with Intel RST RAID. You can do it with either RAID 0 boot volumes or RAID 0 secondary volumes. We aren't going to bother with a boot volume for this review because we just don't have the time to do so before product launch.
If you intend to create a bootable RAID volume, you will need to enable SATA RAID mode in your system BIOS and inject the latest RST driver into your Windows install. To create a secondary RAID volume, like we did here, you also must set SATA to RAID mode in the system BIOS and install Intel's RST RAID Utility so write-back caching can be enabled. RST RAID is limited by chipset bandwidth which tops out at about 3.6GBs with overhead.
This is our 3-drive RST array as we created it. We didn't have time to play around with stripe sizes, so we just went with default 16KB stripes. We enabled write-back caching and disabled buffer-flushing. We also disabled link power management.
Almost double the storage bandwidth compared to a single drive on its own.
(4K Random Read)
600K random IOPS is hitting the max of the chipset's capabilities.
(4K Random Write)
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction, Drive Specifications, Pricing & Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup, Drive Properties]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks - ATTO & Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark & AS SSD]
- Page 6 [Benches (OS) - Vantage, PCMark 7, PCMark 8 & SYSmark 2014 SE]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Secondary) - IOPS, Response & Transfer Rate]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - PCMark 8 Extended]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks 70/30 Mixed Workload & Sustained Seq. Write]
- Page 10 [Intel RST Chipset 3-Drive RAID 0 Array on Z270]
- Page 11 [Intel VROC Direct to CPU 4-Drive RAID 0 Array on X299]
- Page 12 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP)]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]