Packaging and Overview
Packaging was kept very simple to cut down costs, but it doesn't invalidate motherboard protection. The motherboard still comes in an anti-static foam tray and bag.
The accessory package includes four SATA6Gb/s cables, WIFI antenna bracket, SLI HB bridge, IO shield, case badge, M.2 screws, manuals, postcard, and driver DVD.
ASROCK put five fan headers on the X299 Extreme4, which is standard for ASRock motherboards. All headers but the CPU fan header circled in green can auto-detect if a PWM or DC mode fan is used and will change their mode accordingly. You can manually change their modes through the UEFI or Windows.
The two headers circled in red are also pump headers, meaning they should run full speed by default and they also support up to 1.5A. The CPU fan header (and I believe the two headers circled in blue) are rated to 1A maximum. The motherboard's color theme is straightforward and dark, something many people like. The back of the motherboard has a few components, but not too many.
The rear IO panel features PS/2 keyboard, PS/2 mouse, Clear CMOS button, four USB 3.0 ports, USB 3.1 type-A, USB 3.1 type-C, two USB 2.0 ports, 1Gbit LAN, and 7.1 audio outputs with S/PDIF out.
The PCI-E lane allotment is interesting, as it's significantly different than that of other X299 motherboards. From top to bottom the three x16 slots operate at x16/x16/x4 at all times with a 44-lane CPU. With a 28-lane CPU, they operate at x16/x8/x4. With a 16-lane CPU, they operate at x16/x0 or x8/x8 and the last x16 slot will route to the PCH. The top M.2 slot is x4 PCI-E 3.0 and supports SATA based drives too, if you use this slot then SATA port 0 is disabled. I am not sure if the M.2 slot is routed to the PCH or CPU.
The second M.2 slot is x4 PCI-E 3.0 and supports SATA drives, and if you use a SATA drive SATA port 1 will be disabled. I am not sure if the PCH or CPU provide bandwidth to the M.2 slot. There is also an M.2 slot for WIFI modules; it will disable PCI-E slot 1 (the topmost x1 slot) if it's used and vice versa.
Eight SATA6Gb/s ports are routed to the PCH. A single USB 3.0 internal header can be found under the CMOS battery under the 24-pin connector.
The motherboard does feature two 8-pin CPU power plugs. In the top right corner of the motherboard, we find the VROC key and an RGB LED header.
In the bottom right corner of the motherboard we find out front panel headers, but to their left, we have a PM_OC header. The header can be attached to an LED and a button to enable or disable an auto overclock. There are two USB 2.0 internal headers under the PCH area.
Another RGB LED header is sandwiched between a TPM header and clear CMOS header near a ThunderBolt GPIO header. The CPU VRM heat sink is a real beast, it has a lot of weight and should do a decent job of cooling the VRM.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and X299 Extreme4 Overview]
- Page 3 [ASROCK X299 Extreme4 Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASROCK X299 Extreme4 Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [VRM and System Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Anthem's new patch adds replayable missions, tweaks loot
- NVIDIA better celebrate 4/20 with GeForce 420.00 drivers
- Like Twin Peaks and X-Files? Check out Remedy's Control
- Why EA is firing 350 employees: it's all about business
- Hitman 2 'Expansion Pass' update adds DX12 support, March 26
- Fan xpert 4 resets at every restart
- H81M-C/CSM and Haswell refresh
- H81M-C/CSM and Haswell refresh
- The Division 2 Benchmarked: 20 Graphics Cards Tested
- MSI MEG X399 CREATION (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- Dead Cells New, Free DLC 'Rise of the Giant' Animated Trailer Showcases All New Ways to Die in Dead Cells
- Morel Audio releases Hogtalare Speaker System
- Introducing New Streaming Bundles From BLD by NZXT
- Stylish Turn Based RPG Grimshade out today on Steam
- Othercide Reveals New Gameplay Trailer