Packaging and Overview
Packaging is simple and to the point, as is the box.
The accessory package includes four SATA6Gb/s cables, RGB LED extension, SLI HB bridge, VRM fan mounting hardware, IO shield, cable stickers, documentation/manuals, and driver DVD.
There are six fan headers on the motherboard, all of them are hybrid headers meaning they can work in DC or PWM mode. You can change their mode in the UEFI or through MSI's Windows software. The headers circled in red are rated for up to 1A, but the one header circled in blue is rated up to 2A and is designed for AIO/water-pumps.
The motherboard's color theme is black on black, and it's a very popular theme for custom builds since black matches everything. The back of the motherboard features a VRM back plate but is devoid of any important components except for some re-drivers.
The rear IO panel features PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse, clear CMOS button, BIOS Flashback button, two USB 2.0 ports, eight USB 3.0 ports, USB 3.1 type-A, USB 3.1 type-C, 1Gbit LAN, and 7.1 gold-plated audio outputs wish S/PDIF out.
The PCI-E layout is very simple; the x16 slots operate at x16/x8/x16/x8 PCI-E 3.0 at all times. The two x1 PCI-E slots are x1 PCI-E 2.0 each and connect to the chipset. Six of the eight SATA6Gb/s ports are right-angled as are the two internal USB 3.0 headers.
Three M.2 slots operate at x4 PCI-E 3.0, and the top one has an M.2 Shield which is supposed to help cool down M.2 drives, or at least make them more aesthetically appealing.
You also get two 8-pin CPU power plugs on the motherboard as well as a 6-pin PCI-E power plug that provides extra juice to the PCI-E slots.
At the top right corner of the motherboard, we find boot LEDs for quick diagnosis if there are any issues. The two fan headers in the area also have RGB LEDs that indicate the mode of the fan header. Two SATA6Gb/s headers are angled vertically and are located right below the 24-pin motherboard power connector.
MSI also put in an overclocking knob with preset overclocking profiles, a power button, a reset button, and a POST code display in the lower right-hand corner of the motherboard. The motherboard also features an internal USB 3.1 type-C header on this bottom row. A DEMOLED button is located above two USB 2.0 internal headers, and it will change the RGB LED mode on-the-fly.
MSI has also incorporated an RGB LED header as well as an addressable/digital RGB header. While most digital RGB headers on motherboard from other vendors offer power, ground, and data pins, MSI has also added in a clock pin on their addressable RGB header. The heat sinks are all screwed into the motherboard, and while you might think the VRM heat sink is a bit small, it's designed to be used with the fan mount for active cooling.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (AMD X399) Motherboard retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (AMD X399) Motherboard retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC Overview]
- Page 3 [MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Devil May Cry TV show coming to Netflix
- Sony skips E3 2019 for PlayStation-centric showcase
- Take home The Crown in our Blu-ray giveaway!
- Digital-only Xbox One coming in 2019
- Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales fails at sales expectations
- Z77-D3H MB and bizzare boot issue
- HyperX Gaming microSD 128GB Review
- FS:[20Pieces] Apple iPhone XR.Xs.Xs Max 64/256/512GB.$8,980
- Vital Progenix
- ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM AM4 with AMD RYZEN 5 2600 CPU will only boot Windows after reset
- Kolumno is now available on PC, mobile and Smart TVs
- Wolfalone Studio announces Darwin's Test!
- World's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale NowWorld's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale Now
- Nexon Secures Global Publishing Rights For Pokelabo, Square Enix-Developed SinoAlice
- Makeblock Announces Educational Partnership with Gratnells Storage Solutions