Here are key points about the MSI X399 SLI PLUS.
VRM Quality and Cooling: MSI didn't cut VRM quality, in fact, they kept the same VRM configuration as we have seen other higher-end motherboards such as the X399 Gaming Pro Carbon.
The 10-phase International Rectifier solution is an excellent one, but like any high-performance machine, it requires cooling. MSI didn't bother with the heat pipes or large mass heat sinks, and instead went with the tried and true airflow approach. They have included a custom fan mount so you can mount a large 120mm fan over the VRM area to cool it.
Affordable: At $319.99 the X399 SLI PLUS is the most affordable X399 motherboard, it's even cheaper than open box competitors over on Newegg. The price of a motherboard for AMD's X399 platform is a big barrier to entry, and the X399 SLI PLUS does a good job of lowering that barrier.
Features: All platform features are present and working well. MSI decided to add more controllers to expand upon included features as well so you get internal and external USB 3.1. All M.2 slots are present in full force. Audio has also been upgraded a bit, and overclocking features are all full and present.
Simple Look: Many people just want a motherboard to fade into the background of a system, and in this case, the motherboard does fade into the background, and with ease. The RGB LED support also allows you to basically choose the color of the motherboard, which is something many users prefer.
OCing Requires VRM Airflow: MSI's included fan bracket for VRM cooling is highly recommended for overclocking.
The MSI X399 SLI PLUS is part of a new generation of motherboards that are designed to lower the barrier of entry to the X399 platform. Thread Ripper CPUs are more affordable than ever, but motherboard prices have barely dropped, which is keeping a lot of people from jumping on the train.
The X399 SLI PLUS is excellent for that purpose since it offers all premium platform features, excellent VRM quality, and solid 3rd party controller support in a significantly more affordable package. If you want a solid motherboard with excellent features at a reasonable price, give the X399 SLI PLUS a look.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Overall TweakTown Rating||95%|
The Bottom Line: MSI's X399 SLI PLUS is the most affordable X399, but it doesn't cut corners where it matters like in the VRM.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (AMD X399) Motherboard retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (AMD X399) Motherboard retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC Overview]
- Page 3 [MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4 in 2019 with single-player
- Tencent buys majority stake in Path of Exile studio
- Black Ops 4 traditional campaign was never in development
- Battlefield V may be set in WWII
- Acer Predator X27: 4K 144Hz HDR G-Sync f or $1999 on June 1
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- If I use the M2_1 slot in the x470 Taichi Ultimate ,will it take away PCIE lanes from the GPU?
- Buy 3 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB SM-G960UZKAXAA $1,257
- Photo Backup and Build your own cloud with Synology
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit