Synology refreshes most of their lineup on a yearly basis. This year we started off on a high note with the All-Flash FS3017 tested with 10Gbe which we subsequently used for the DS1517+ in June and DS1817 in August. In November, we looked at the RS217 Rackstation platform and today, we close out the year with the DS918+.
The DS918+ sits towards the middle of the Plus Series lineup, right between the DS218+ and 1517+ from earlier in the year. In the grand scheme of things, the plus series is enthusiast level platforms for SMB and are one tier above value level and two above the J series, entry-level platforms. Coming from the Plus lineup, the DS918+ is a four-bay appliance offering support for two NVMe SSDs on the bottom of the chassis while at the same time offering support for expansion via the DX517 expansion chassis.
With the DS918+ Synology has opened up with btrfs filesystem support allowing flexibly shared folders and more in-depth user quota control. Snapshot Replication allows 1024 shared folder backups and 65 thousand system-wide snapshots along with automatic file healing, that detects and recovers corrupted files without user intervention.
Additionally, Synology has deployed digital asset protection through its security advisor that analyzes settings, password, and networks for any possible malware. App Armor is a kernel level platform that blocks malicious code from accessing system resources while AES 256bit encryption is available for all shared folders.
The DS918+ is an Intel platform utilizing the Quad-Core Celeron J3455 operating at 1.5GHz with burst capabilities up to 2.3GHz. This solution supports both AES-NI hardware encryption along with hardware transcoding of H.264, H.265, MPEG2 and VC-1 at 4K30. Paired with the processor we have 4GB of DDR3L memory, upgradable via internal SO-DIMM slots to 8GB. As mentioned above, we have four 3.5" bays expandable to nine, with the DX517. On the bottom of the unit, we have two m.2 2280 slots with support for NVMe drives.
External connectivity starts with dual 1GbE ports with link aggregation and failover support. We also have dual USB 3.0 ports and a single eSATA.
MSRP of the Four Bay DS918+ comes in at $549.99 with a three-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Psyonix reveals 'Salty Shores' Rocket League content update
- Overwatch two-year anniversary skins and patch notes reveal
- Human Head Studios release Rune: Ragarok gameplay video
- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: Donkey Kong Adventure unveil
- Hi-Rez Studios fires art contractor for copied Overwatch art
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 (www.BizFests.com) 64GB $1,595
- Buy 5 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB SM-G960UZKAXAA $1,595
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- If I use the M2_1 slot in the x470 Taichi Ultimate ,will it take away PCIE lanes from the GPU?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit