Synology refreshes most of their lineup on a yearly basis. This year we started off on a high note with the All-Flash FS3017 tested with 10Gbe which we subsequently used for the DS1517+ in June and DS1817 in August. In November, we looked at the RS217 Rackstation platform and today, we close out the year with the DS918+.
The DS918+ sits towards the middle of the Plus Series lineup, right between the DS218+ and 1517+ from earlier in the year. In the grand scheme of things, the plus series is enthusiast level platforms for SMB and are one tier above value level and two above the J series, entry-level platforms. Coming from the Plus lineup, the DS918+ is a four-bay appliance offering support for two NVMe SSDs on the bottom of the chassis while at the same time offering support for expansion via the DX517 expansion chassis.
With the DS918+ Synology has opened up with btrfs filesystem support allowing flexibly shared folders and more in-depth user quota control. Snapshot Replication allows 1024 shared folder backups and 65 thousand system-wide snapshots along with automatic file healing, that detects and recovers corrupted files without user intervention.
Additionally, Synology has deployed digital asset protection through its security advisor that analyzes settings, password, and networks for any possible malware. App Armor is a kernel level platform that blocks malicious code from accessing system resources while AES 256bit encryption is available for all shared folders.
The DS918+ is an Intel platform utilizing the Quad-Core Celeron J3455 operating at 1.5GHz with burst capabilities up to 2.3GHz. This solution supports both AES-NI hardware encryption along with hardware transcoding of H.264, H.265, MPEG2 and VC-1 at 4K30. Paired with the processor we have 4GB of DDR3L memory, upgradable via internal SO-DIMM slots to 8GB. As mentioned above, we have four 3.5" bays expandable to nine, with the DX517. On the bottom of the unit, we have two m.2 2280 slots with support for NVMe drives.
External connectivity starts with dual 1GbE ports with link aggregation and failover support. We also have dual USB 3.0 ports and a single eSATA.
MSRP of the Four Bay DS918+ comes in at $549.99 with a three-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New Obi-Wan Star Wars show coming on Disney+, Ewan McGregor to star
- Epic Games Store is changing for the better
- Destiny 2's crunch will help streamline Destiny 3
- RNGesus blesses Destiny 2 with new expansive Armor 2.0 update
- Choosing a VPN for gaming: Here's what you need to know
- GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Xtreme (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- COLORFUL iGame GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Vulcan X OC-V Review
- BIOS 5.40 Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4
- Problems during Start Up
- Animoca secures deal with Versus Systems to drive in-game revenue and player engagement
- Viotek Launches LinQ Portable Touchscreen Monitors
- SK hynix Unveils 'Gold S31' Consumer Solid-State Drive on Amazon
- Final Assault coming to PSVR in Q4 2019
- Veteran Video Games Industry Leader Kate Edwards Joins Global Game Jam as Executive Director