We categorize these tests as indicative of a moderate workload environment.
PCMark Vantage - Hard Disk Tests
Version and / or Patch Used: 220.127.116.11
The reason we like PCMark Vantage is because the recorded traces are played back without system stops. What we see is the raw performance of the drive. This allows us to see a marked difference between scoring that other trace-based benchmarks do not exhibit. An example of a marked difference in scoring on the same drive would be empty vs. filled vs. steady state.
We run Vantage three ways. The first run is with the OS drive 75% full to simulate a lightly used OS volume filled with data to an amount we feel is common for most users. The second run is with the OS volume written into a "Steady State" utilizing SNIA's consumer guidelines. Steady state testing simulates a drive's performance similar to that of a drive that been subjected to consumer workloads for extensive amounts of time. The third run is a Vantage HDD test with the test drive attached as an empty, lightly used secondary device.
OS Volume 75% Full - Moderately Used
OS Volume 75% Full - Steady State
Secondary Volume Empty - FOB
There's a big difference between an empty drive, one that's 75% full/used, and one that's in a steady state.
The important scores to pay attention to are "OS Volume Steady State" and "OS Volume 75% full." These two categories are most important because they are indicative of typical of consumer user states. When a drive is in a steady state, it means garbage collection is running at the same time it's reading/writing.
Focusing in on steady-state, we find the E8 beating the 600p and getting edged out by the WD Black. We will reserve judgement for PCMark 8 which we consider to be the best indicator of performance in a consumer environment.
PCMark 7 - System Storage
Version and / or Patch Used: 1.4.0
We will look to Raw System Storage scoring for evaluation because it's done without system stops and, therefore, allows us to see significant scoring differences between drives. When evaluating NVMe SSDs we are looking for a minimum score of 11,000.
OS Volume 75% Full & Moderately Used Secondary Disk
Again we find the E8 is edged out by the WD Black and soundly defeating the 600p. The E8 doesn't give us our 11K minimum, but like Anvil's this marker was established with 4-lane NVMe SSDs in mind. This test also clearly shows how much better performance the E8 can deliver than SATA SSDs for around the same price. Now, let's take a look at what the best consumer SSD test can tell us about the Phison E8.
PCMark 8 - Storage Bandwidth
Version and / or Patch Used: 2.4.304
We use PCMark 8 Storage benchmark to test the performance of SSDs, HDDs, and hybrid drives with traces recorded from Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, and a selection of popular games. You can test the system drive or any other recognized storage device, including local external drives. Unlike synthetic storage tests, the PCMark 8 Storage benchmark highlights real-world performance differences between storage devices.
OS Volume 75% Full & Moderately Used Secondary Disk
PCMark 8 is the most intensive moderate workload simulation we run. With respect to moderate consumer type workloads, this test is what we consider the best indicator of a drive's performance. Now, this is indeed impressive! The Phison E8 delivers better consumer workload performance than any of the contenders in our test pool. This is what matters, not synthetic numbers. We are confident in saying that the E8 is the superior choice to any of the NVMe drives in our test pool, and guess what? It is MUCH cheaper. The E8 even manages to deliver better performance than the MLC equipped SX8000 which is an expensive SSD.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Micron Outs In-House High Performance NVMe SSD Controller
- Silicon Motion Details SM2270 Enterprise SSD Controller
- Fullbright's Gone Hone will debut to the Nintendo Switch
- Dr. Strange/Avengers buildings spotted in Spider-Man trailer
- Stunlock Studios releases Battlerite Royale gameplay trailer
- Buy (10 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $1,500
- Buy (5 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $1,150
- TRENDnet TWC-L10 Wi-Fi Light Bulb Security Camera Review
- Buy (3 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $900
- Buy (2Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $800
- Let's Ragnarok! Legend of Solgard Launches worldwide on Mobile
- Snail Games Soft Launches My Dino in Canada
- Razer NOMMO Pro is Available For Purchase
- Beat-'Em-Up Coffee Crisis Out On Xbox One Today
- New World Boss Karanda Coming to Black Desert Online SEA