When I first started writing for TweakTown, hard drives just broke the 4TB barrier and SSDs were just getting started. Now the hard drive market has completely changed into an all-out battle for who has the highest capacity drives. Seagate is now shipping 12TB IronWolf and Barracuda solutions that we will be looking at in an upcoming article, and up to this point we do have 10TB Red, Red Pro and 10TB WD Gold samples in-house with rumblings of 12TB solutions very soon.
The WD Gold was announced and launched mid-2016 with 4TB, 6TB, and 8TB capacity options. It takes over where the RE drive left off, and since then, WD has expanded the lineup to include 10TB and 12TB solutions. All WD Gold drives feature a 7200 RPM spindle speed, the latest generation of electronics part of which includes enhanced RAFF-technology that monitors the drive to correct linear and rotational vibration in real-time along with Dynamic Fly Height technology to monitor and adjust each read/write head to ensure consistent performance and of course, RAID-Specific TLER.
Specifications, Pricing and Availability
Diving right into the specifications, we are looking at the 10TB WD Gold second from the left. We start with a formatted capacity of 10TB while in actual use I saw a touch over 9.3TB for data. We move on to form factor at 3.5" supporting the SATA 6Gb/s interface and NCQ. The performance category includes the buffer to host rate of 6Gb/s while the drive is capable of 249 MB/s sustained. The cache is listed at 256M and 7200 RPM spindle speed while MTBF sits at 2.5 million hours with load unload cycles at 600,000.
Power requirements have the WD Gold at 5 watts idle, 6.8 watts in random workloads and 7.1 watts with sequential data. The MSRP for the 10TB WD Gold comes in at $412.99 with a five-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The WD Gold 10TB Datacenter Enterprise-Class Hard Drive retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The WD Gold 10TB Datacenter Enterprise-Class Hard Drive retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- DICE addresses ridiculous death experience in Battlefield V
- Huawei's upcoming foldable smartphone could feature 5G tech
- ASUS ready to launch a massive array of Z390 motherboards
- MSI's new MEG 390 GODLIKE motherboard leaked, looks awesome
- Death Stranding's bizarre new trailer is darkly enchanting
- EP2C602 wont post
- صيانة كريازى مصر 0235700997 | توكيل ثلاجة كريازى الت
- صيانة جنرال اليكتريك مصر 0235700994 | توكيل ثلاجات ج
- صيانة كلفينيتور مصر 0235700997 | توكيل ثلاجات كلفين
- Battery Issue
- Multi-Awarded Party Game Wizards TourneyOut On Steam Today
- Announcing the release date of 'ACA NEOGEO CYBER-LIP'
- Kensington Unveils LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dual 4K Dock with K-Fob Smart Lock
- Crashbots is coming to Steam on the 9th of October!
- Linksys Launches High Performance, Enterprise-grade Cloud Networking Management For SMB Networks Without Licensing Fees