When I first started writing for TweakTown, hard drives just broke the 4TB barrier and SSDs were just getting started. Now the hard drive market has completely changed into an all-out battle for who has the highest capacity drives. Seagate is now shipping 12TB IronWolf and Barracuda solutions that we will be looking at in an upcoming article, and up to this point we do have 10TB Red, Red Pro and 10TB WD Gold samples in-house with rumblings of 12TB solutions very soon.
The WD Gold was announced and launched mid-2016 with 4TB, 6TB, and 8TB capacity options. It takes over where the RE drive left off, and since then, WD has expanded the lineup to include 10TB and 12TB solutions. All WD Gold drives feature a 7200 RPM spindle speed, the latest generation of electronics part of which includes enhanced RAFF-technology that monitors the drive to correct linear and rotational vibration in real-time along with Dynamic Fly Height technology to monitor and adjust each read/write head to ensure consistent performance and of course, RAID-Specific TLER.
Specifications, Pricing and Availability
Diving right into the specifications, we are looking at the 10TB WD Gold second from the left. We start with a formatted capacity of 10TB while in actual use I saw a touch over 9.3TB for data. We move on to form factor at 3.5" supporting the SATA 6Gb/s interface and NCQ. The performance category includes the buffer to host rate of 6Gb/s while the drive is capable of 249 MB/s sustained. The cache is listed at 256M and 7200 RPM spindle speed while MTBF sits at 2.5 million hours with load unload cycles at 600,000.
Power requirements have the WD Gold at 5 watts idle, 6.8 watts in random workloads and 7.1 watts with sequential data. The MSRP for the 10TB WD Gold comes in at $412.99 with a five-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The WD Gold 10TB Datacenter Enterprise-Class Hard Drive retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The WD Gold 10TB Datacenter Enterprise-Class Hard Drive retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PowerColor Radeon RX Vega Red Dragon: triple-fan custom card
- Qualcomm Snapdragon-powered notebooks: EPIC battery life
- PlayStation and Xbox cross-play is inevitable, says Epic
- Witcher series passes 33 million cumulative sales
- Cyberpunk 2077 will tap next-gen console power
- GIGABYTE Z170MX Gaming5 non K overclock
- Buy (10 Pieces) Apple iPhone X Brand New Unlocked 64GB $7,490
- Corsair ML140 PRO RGB 140mm Magnetic Levitation Review
- AMD Ryzen Master Utility Memory Access Mode Greyed Out ASROCK x399
- خدمه عملاء تكييفات باور & 01225025360 _01014723434 & اعطال باور
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit