Test System Setup
Processor(s): AMD Athlon X2 3800+
Motherboard(s): ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe - 16x PCI-E lanes (Supplied by ASUS)
Memory: 2 X 1GB Corsair PC3500LL PRO DDR (Supplied by Corsair)
Hard Disk(s): WD Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA (Supplied by Western Digital)
Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP1
Drivers: ATI Catalyst 5.11, nVidia Forceware 81.94 and DX9c
The test system has gone through a slight overhaul this week with the ASUS SLI Premium going out and the new and impressive ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe coming in to take its place. We have also moved from our 2 x 512MB Mushkin modules to the new Corsair PC3500LL PRO (2 x 1GB) that is specifically suited for the A8N32 motherboard from ASUS. We will be looking further into this combination at a later date. With the new motherboard setup we have an increased CPU overclock to 2.45GHz from the 2.35GHz we have been running.
Quickly before we move on, we have used the latest version of ATI Tool from our friend W1zzard @ TechPowerUp, the creator of ATI Tool. This does give us the ability to overclock the core of the X1800XL but unfortunately not the memory as yet. So we will be doing some overclocking just not as much as we had hoped.
The X1800XL in the US is similarly priced to the GeForce 7800GT we are going to be comparing it against. In Australia the X1800XL sits a little bit higher and Gigabyte have set a very nice $699 AUD RRP for the card which makes it an excellent price for a card from such a reputable manufacturer. It's also important to keep in mind we're comparing the Gigabyte X1800XL against the BFG 7800GT which comes with higher clock speeds than regular 7800GT cards.
The other thing we must mention is that we have used the latest official drivers for both cards - the Catalyst 5.11 and the ForceWare 81.94. The latest ForceWare drivers are able to make use out of the X2 processor so it does sit in a better position before we enter into the benchmarks. We should hopefully see a similar technology implementation in the next release of Catalyst drivers but if not there is no doubt that it will be early next year in the new 6 series.
Version and / or Patch Used: Build 360
Developer Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com
Product Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com/products/3dmark03/
By combining full DX8 and partial DX9 support with completely new tests and graphics over the previous version, 3DMark03 continues the legacy of being the industry standard 3D benchmark.
Please Note: Due to recent events with the 3DMark03 series, we are adding results purely for those who are still in favor of 3DMark03. These results should not be taken too seriously and are only added for interest sakes.
3DMark03 performance at the lower resolution shows that the 7800GT is a fair bit faster though when moving to the higher resolution which is what people with these cards will play at we can see that performance is closer.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark03]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - CPU Overclocking]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Graphics Card Overclocking]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bungie: Activision let us do awesome things with Destiny
- Disney+ includes free 4K streaming, supports 4 simultaneous streams
- Bandai Namco: Epic Store exclusivity isn't our vision
- El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie announced, drops October 11 on Netflix
- The best destruction physics in a game EVER, also features ray tracing
- Lian Li TU150 Mini-ITX Chassis Review
- SteelSeries Arctis 9X Wireless Headset Review
- Seagate Gears 5TB Game Drive Review
- TRENDnet USB-C 2.5Gbe Network Adapter Review
- Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe M.2 SSD Review
- Snooker 19, the first official snooker game in a generation, is out now on Nintendo Switch
- Ultimate Fishing Simulator VR will debut in August
- Leyou Technologies Announces 2019 Interim Results
- Thermaltake A700 Aluminum Tempered Glass Edition Full Tower Chassis Now Available Simplicity Creates Its Own Path
- 2019 Thermaltake CaseMOD Invitational Season 2 Brings Twelve Top Modders Worldwide Together for the New Creation of the Core P5 V2 Chassis Battle for the Best