Test System Setup
Processor(s): AMD Athlon X2 3800+
Motherboard(s): ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe - 16x PCI-E lanes (Supplied by ASUS)
Memory: 2 X 1GB Corsair PC3500LL PRO DDR (Supplied by Corsair)
Hard Disk(s): WD Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA (Supplied by Western Digital)
Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP1
Drivers: ATI Catalyst 5.11, nVidia Forceware 81.94 and DX9c
The test system has gone through a slight overhaul this week with the ASUS SLI Premium going out and the new and impressive ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe coming in to take its place. We have also moved from our 2 x 512MB Mushkin modules to the new Corsair PC3500LL PRO (2 x 1GB) that is specifically suited for the A8N32 motherboard from ASUS. We will be looking further into this combination at a later date. With the new motherboard setup we have an increased CPU overclock to 2.45GHz from the 2.35GHz we have been running.
Quickly before we move on, we have used the latest version of ATI Tool from our friend W1zzard @ TechPowerUp, the creator of ATI Tool. This does give us the ability to overclock the core of the X1800XL but unfortunately not the memory as yet. So we will be doing some overclocking just not as much as we had hoped.
The X1800XL in the US is similarly priced to the GeForce 7800GT we are going to be comparing it against. In Australia the X1800XL sits a little bit higher and Gigabyte have set a very nice $699 AUD RRP for the card which makes it an excellent price for a card from such a reputable manufacturer. It's also important to keep in mind we're comparing the Gigabyte X1800XL against the BFG 7800GT which comes with higher clock speeds than regular 7800GT cards.
The other thing we must mention is that we have used the latest official drivers for both cards - the Catalyst 5.11 and the ForceWare 81.94. The latest ForceWare drivers are able to make use out of the X2 processor so it does sit in a better position before we enter into the benchmarks. We should hopefully see a similar technology implementation in the next release of Catalyst drivers but if not there is no doubt that it will be early next year in the new 6 series.
Version and / or Patch Used: Build 360
Developer Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com
Product Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com/products/3dmark03/
By combining full DX8 and partial DX9 support with completely new tests and graphics over the previous version, 3DMark03 continues the legacy of being the industry standard 3D benchmark.
Please Note: Due to recent events with the 3DMark03 series, we are adding results purely for those who are still in favor of 3DMark03. These results should not be taken too seriously and are only added for interest sakes.
3DMark03 performance at the lower resolution shows that the 7800GT is a fair bit faster though when moving to the higher resolution which is what people with these cards will play at we can see that performance is closer.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark03]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - CPU Overclocking]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Graphics Card Overclocking]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Android 17 confirmed as next Dragon Ball FighterZ DLC
- Danny Trejo introduces Magic: The Gathering Arena Open Beta
- Dark Souls Remastered for Switch: Network Test available
- Platinum Games addresses Bayonetta 3 development progress
- Nintendo Switch NES Emulator successfully hacked, new games?
- DLink HD Wi-Fi Camera 8300LH Review
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Review: No Seriously, Just Buy It
- can not find WIIFI driver
- Qsan XN3002T Two-Bay NAS Review
- Can't connect to the media server on my AC68U
- The Slater releases on September 20th
- Partnership Between Mastiff and Yggdrazil Group Brings Home Sweet Home to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One This October
- Turn-Based PC-RTS 'ValeGuard' Has Launched On STEAM Offering Exciting City-Building & Strategic Real-Time Combat
- IBM Takes Major Step in Breaking Open the Black Box of AI
- Genpact Launches Cora CommandCenter to Transform Digital Workforce Performance and Automation Governance