We really had a chance to get down and dirty with the latest X1800XL sample to hit our labs from Gigabyte. We were able to run more benchmarks and start to tinker a little bit more with the overclocking side of things and as you can see, we really began to start seeing a difference in performance with the overclock.
As we mentioned earlier the GeForce 7800GT with the latest drivers really begins to take advantage of the Dual Core processor capabilities on offer from the Athlon X2 and even with that leg up on the X1800XL, it still doesn't manage to blow the ATI competition away totally.
Dual graphic card setups are going to become a whole lot more interesting when ATI can get its act together with Crossfire but at the moment the 7800GT SLI capability does light up a lot of people's eyes and lean them towards this option over the ATI offering.
The Radeon X1800XL is an excellent GPU and the Gigabyte based solution is pretty good - it's available now and the architecture behind it is more advanced then the nVidia offering which has more MHz and more pipes. The Gigabyte X1800XL is packed full of features such as two Dual Link DVI ports, HDTV output and VIVO support - it's pretty much got everything you could ever need right now as far as IO goes. On top of this, it's a single slot design and the cooler isn't loud plus the entire package is quite stylish and very easy on the eye.
Die hard ATI fans are going to opt for this option over the other thanks to better driver support (monthly releases) and the image quality and options available by ATI are greater then its nVidia counterpart as it's not always about frames per second, even though the gap between the X1800XL and 7800GT is closing especially when we start to overclock.
Good package bundle
Available now to buy
Dual Link DVI, HDTV and VIVO
Monthly driver updates
Single slot design
Good performance and even better when overclocked
Great overclocking ability (core only currently through ATI Tool)
Overclocking is still difficult (at the moment)
Still waiting for X1K Crossfire master cards
Rating - 9 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Editors Choice Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark03]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - CPU Overclocking]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Graphics Card Overclocking]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bloodborne is getting its very own physical vinyl soundtrack
- Eddie Murphy might be come back to stand-up comedy for $70m
- The Witcher TV show will NEVER adapt the video games
- 'Holy Grail' of computer science found in Quantum Computing
- Netflix's Witcher TV show gets 1st trailer, Geralt is HUGE
- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X: RTX 2080 Ti NVLink vs. GTX 1080 Ti SLI
- AORUS motherboard: all the fans stop for few seconds after POST
- AROUS motherboard: fans stop after boot for few seconds
- Kingston KC2000 High-Performance NVMe SSD Review
- ASRock X570 Taichi (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- Nowhere Prophet out now on Steam
- Soul Searching is coming to Nintendo Switch in 2019!
- Batter Up! Metalhead Software to Launch Super Mega Baseball 2: Ultimate Edition on Nintendo Switch July 25
- Represent Your Identity and New Ideas with .id Domain Name
- Asmodee Digital Reveals Pandemic's Announcement Trailer, Launch Date and Price