Here are key points about the Lenovo Legion Y920.
Gaming Performance: Our gaming benchmark suite proves that the Lenovo Y920 is one of the best 1080P gaming notebooks we have ever tested. The matching of the 8GB GTX 1070 with the i7-7820HK, 16GB of dual channel DDR4, and a super-fast Samsung NVMe SSD produces excellent scores, high FPS, and an excellent visual experience.
Gaming Experience: Gaming isn't just about the FPS, and when you are using a notebook for gaming, you are limited regarding certain things. One of those is the resolution to screen size, and I feel that a 17.3" display goes well with 1080P, and the NVIDIA G-SYNC seals the deal with smooth graphics. The RGB LEDs are a nice touch, especially around the touchpad. The mechanical keyboard and the raised rubberized surface make it easy to use the keyboard for gaming, although I would still use an external mouse.
ThunderBolt 3: Connectivity is important, but being prepared for future external devices, such as ThunderBolt 3 storage, while also being compatible with current devices, such as a phone that uses USB 3.0 type-C, is more important. Type-A USB is pretty limited in versatility, but USB type-C in the ThunderBolt 3 form is one of the most versatile type-C ports, as it incorporates Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 and below, DisplayPort, and power delivery all in a single connector.
Quiet Fans, Loud Speakers: The fans actually quiet when doing normal things, but during gaming, you might be able to hear them, but not over the speakers. The speakers are very powerful for a notebook. You get two 2W speakers and a 3W subwoofer, and they are great for everything from watching Netflix to listening to see what direction your enemies are approaching you're your favorite first-person shooter.
Super Heavy: The notebook is not what I would consider "portable," it's super heavy. At 10lbs, it is as heavy as a medium-sized bowling ball or a 2-3 month-old baby.
The Legion Y920 is actually a great gaming notebook that you can take where you need to go, as long as you do not need to go there multiple times a day. Its weight is perhaps the biggest issue with the product, as its performance is excellent, quality is top notch, and it offers a great experience. The RGB lighting is done well, and I especially appreciate the lighting around the touchpad, although its default responsiveness will probably need to be tweaked.
I liked the attention to detail as well, such as the mechanical keyboard, raised rubberized wrist rest, quiet fans, and G-SYNC technology. I can also appreciate the Turbo slider switch, and although it can only be engaged when plugged in, it's a quick and easy way to get more performance out of the notebook.
The notebook does cost a lot of money, but it also has a lot to offer and is one of the best 1080P FHD gaming notebooks on the market when it comes to performance and experience.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Overall TweakTown Rating||92%|
The Bottom Line: Lenovo's Legion Y920 offers a top-notch gaming experience matched with stunning performance and is one of our favorite 17" gaming notebooks.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Lenovo Legion Y920 (Kaby Lake) Gaming Laptop retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Physical Overview]
- Page 3 [Physical Overview Continued]
- Page 4 [Software]
- Page 5 [System Performance Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [Gaming Performance Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System IO and Battery Performance]
- Page 8 [Thermal Performance]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 5 minutes of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's 'World of Light'
- Fury's rage showcased in two new Darksiders III trailers
- Marvel & Riot partner to release 'League of Legends' comics
- Players will unlock Smash Bros. Ultimate's roster rapidly
- Skyrim composer raises hand for Lord of The Rings TV show
- 'Koala Stoner Noir' Free Demo Released Today. Full Game Updated With New Map Location And Cinema Experience
- TRENDnet launches long-range PoE+ switches
- ADATA Launches Ultimate SU630 3D QLC NAND SSD
- Razer announces the BlackWidow Lite
- ASUS ROG Announces ROG Strix Radeon RX 590 Graphics Card