Test System Setup
Processor(s): AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Motherboard(s): Biostar AMD GeForce 6100-M9
Memory: 2 x 512MB PC3200 RAM
Hard Disk(s): 2 x Seagate 80GB SATA in RAID-1 (mirror)
Operating System Used: Microsoft Windows XP SP2
Drivers Used: nVidia ForceWare 81.85, ATI Catalyst 5.10 and DX9c
Our test system was designed to test the capabilities of the board running a standard installation of Windows XP, so other than disabling visual themes (except for PCMark05 which requires it), we left everything on, including audio. The hard drives were connected in a RAID-1 mirror, which is a reasonable real-life implementation.
To give an indication of where the GeForce 6100 sits in the grand scheme of things, we also ran the visual benchmarks against an ATI Radeon X800 Pro. This wasn't to try and compare the two cards - obviously a dedicated X800 Pro would flatten pretty much any integrated graphics controller with ease - but just to get an impression of how the 6100 could perform, and what recommendations to make based on that performance.
To that end, we didn't perform any GPU overclocking or high quality visual effects benchmarking. It was always fairly clear that the GeForce 6100 was going to struggle even at 1024x768/noAA/noAF, so it would have been quite unreasonable to push it even further beyond its capacity and then try to come up with a meaningful interpretation of the results, other than "don't play games with this".
Version and / or Patch Used: PCMark04 1.30 and PCMark05 1.10
Developer Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com
Product Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com/products/pcmark04/
PCMark is a multipurpose benchmark, suited for benchmarking all kinds of PCs, from laptops to workstations, as well as across multiple Windows operating systems. This easy-to-use benchmark makes professional strength benchmarking software available even to novice users. PCMark consists of a series of tests that represent common tasks in home and office programs. PCMark also covers many additional areas outside the scope of other MadOnion.com benchmarks.
The PCMark benchmarking apps perform system, CPU, memory, graphics and HDD tests - the end result is a weighted average of all these. Overall the Biostar 6100-M9 performed quite well, proving its worth as a powerful basis for a workstation. PCMark05 is a more aggressive test that PCMark04, and also requires Windows XP visual themes to be turned on, so there is a slightly higher memory footprint and more strenuous graphics testing.
The board performed well nevertheless, with a drop in score of around 30%. In the individual tests, however, the notable weak point was the graphics testing scores - in both PCMark benchmarks the graphics scores were around 60% lower than the next highest score (CPU), and almost 70% lower than the highest (HDD). So the overall scores were dragged down by the GeForce 6100 onboard GPU.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Disney Pixar release short film 'Bao' - A Mother & Son story
- Warframe: Fortuna the Profit-Taker debuts to PC, out now
- Steam Winter Sale starts Dec 20th, Award Nominees released
- Switch beats Xbox One/PS4 sales from: March 2017-Nov 2018
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: 3 million units sold in 11 days
- I have a serious problem with audio on my new x470 taichi motherboard
- supplement4reviews com/keto-burn-xtreme-reviews/
- AdMaster: 79% of China advertisers to increase digital marketing spend in 2019
- Safety Laser Scanner Market Worth $406 Million by 2023 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets
- Archer Ascension Now Available in Black Desert Online SEA
- Back to Ubersreik DLC is now available on Xbox One and PlayStation 4
- Ark: Survival Evolved Transformed Into A Winter Wonderland With The Arrival Of Raptor Claus