Overclocking of the Biostar AMD GeForce 6100-M9
Surprisingly, the Biostar 6100-M9 had quite a few inbuilt options for overclocking - certainly more than you generally see on a micro-ATX motherboard which is fairly well budget orientated.
In theory, bus speeds can be clocked up to 300MHz, PCI-E speeds up to 125MHz, frame buffer up to 128MB, HyperTransport multiplier up to 5x, DRAM voltage up to 2.93V and core voltage up to 1.7V. This is the theory, at least.
Biostar have loaded the onboard Award BIOS with an overclocking feature called ONE - Overclocking Navigator Engine. This comes with three pre-defined overclocked settings - normal, medium and extreme. You do need to disable POST error halting to use this - otherwise the system halts on startup indicating a CPU frequency change.
Within the BIOS you can also backup your current BIOS settings, and restore them if things go wrong with the setup - a very useful safety net.
Biostar have provided software which leverages off their WarpSpeeder technology to enable in-OS overclocking. We had limited success with this - CPU frequency was able to be clocked higher, although the PCI-E frequency remained stubbornly low and refused to go any higher.
We found that trying to tweak the motherboard this way resulted in a fair few freezes and hangups. The best (and most stable) results were achieved by using the in-BIOS pre-defined settings. The Windows-based hardware monitoring utility was pretty good though, and very useful in keeping track of changes to the system.
We were able to get the board up to a stable FSB of 272MHz which isn't too bad.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PC is now Ubisoft's most lucrative platform
- The Division 2 is 2019's best-seller, Ubisoft says
- Luigi's Mansion 3 has a spooky Halloween debut, October 31
- PUBG's backstory is a Lex Luthor puppetmaster fantasy dream
- Human-based AI solves Rubik's Cube in 28 moves, 1.2 seconds
- ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro NVMe SSD Review
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night Review
- NZXT H500i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Master (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- closing explorer.exe cause unstable mouse movement
- Royale Pass Season 8 And More Graces PUBG Mobile's Battlefield In Time For New Version Update
- Age of Wonders: Planetfall Retail Versions Now Available for Pre-Order
- Night Call - A Noire Novella Investigative Game - Out Now on Steam and Xbox Game Pass for PC
- Edge of Eternity gets third chapter 'The Reunion' in major update today
- Asmodee Digital Kicks Off Early Access for Gloomhaven With a Brand New Launch Trailer