If you happened to have missed out a couple of years back when the original Castor was released, now is the perfect time to buy into the hype. Mionix may have simply removed the LEDs, added some new and much-improved color options, and cut the DPI sensitivity in half, but they leave us with a mouse that we do not want to remove from our desk. Many factors come into play as to why this is. Things like the use of top-tier internal parts, the fits like a glove feel of the mouse, the soft touch coating, and contoured grip designs, and to be honest, the biggest seller for us is that we are not left with the same old color choices. You can add brightness to the desktop, and keep in mind, Mionix does offer keyboards with similar color options so that you can take the theme to the next level.
It does not matter if you spend your day's gaming with your friends, if you are a graphic artist, or like us, you spend most days mixing up the two, you will not be sorry if you put your money on one of the many flavors of the new Castor mouse. While at first, we had it in our heads that it is just a new color and had a couple of features removed, it only took a few hours under our hand to fully appreciate what Mionix offers in this product. Plenty of memory for saving the profiles and button assignments, five levels of DPI adjustment, name brand secondary switches, and twenty million click main switches all come together for a great user experience. The fact that it is controlled by an ARM Cortex-M3 32-bit processor may seem like overkill, but it handles everything the Castor Ice Cream offers and will be adequate for any of your needs. While getting back to the basics of features, with a splash of color, Mionix has seriously impressed us with their ability to think outside of the box and go out on a limb hoping the masses will like the color choices as much as we do.
Just like with the original Castor mouse, the price may be what stops you from this being your next purchase. At this time, the lack of listing on this side of the pond don't help with this matter either. We can always hope that when the new Mionix Castors hit this side of the globe, maybe Mionix will be generous and offer them at a dollar for euro conversion rate. If this were to happen, Mionix would sell a ton of these pastel-colored beauties at $69.99. However, the only pricing we do see is at €69.99, which takes the price in the US slightly passed the $80 mark.
Form and function only get you so far at this price, as many will find products with more to offer as well as RGB LED lighting, but there is no doubt you will be hard-pressed to find mice in gray, pink, light blue, and yellow.
Chad's Peripherals Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: ASUS X99-E WS - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- CPU: Intel Core i7 5930K - Buy from Amazon
- Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Memory: KLevv Cras DDR4 3000 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Matrix Platinum - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Storage: Intel 730 480GB - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Case: SilverStone TJ11 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Power Supply: Corsair AX1200 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit - Buy from Amazon
Product Summary Breakdown
|Overall TweakTown Rating||93%|
The Bottom Line: Mionix's Castor Ice Cream is one of the better mice we have ever tested! It could have easily been rated gold, but with the high-end pricing and the lack of features for the money, we recommend it for form, function, and uniqueness instead.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Mionix Castor Ice Cream - 6 Button Ergonomic Optical Gaming Mouse Blue - Perfect For eSports Made For Gamers and Artists - Blue Cable Color - Native 5000 DPI retails for $59.00 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Mionix Castor Ice Cream retails for £58.99 at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging, Accessories, and Documentation]
- Page 3 [Mionix Castor Ice Cream Mouse]
- Page 4 [Inside the Castor Ice Cream]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft isn't supportive of Japanese games, says NIS
- Over 322,000 cheaters have been caught in Battlegrounds
- BIOSTAR reveal their flagship RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- Logitech release the ASTRO A20 Wireless Headset
- SK politician talks PUBG success, holds golden pan
- GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard Review
- AORUS X9 (Kaby Lake) Gaming Laptop Review
- ASUS ROG Strix Vega 64 Unboxed: The First Custom RX Vega
- Replacement AC adapter for RT-AC88U
- Can't disable CPU SPECTRUM on a Z97-D3H
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- ASRock announces X299E-ITX/ac, world's first mini-ITX LGA2066 motherboard
- Noctua introduces chromax line fans, cables and heat sink covers
- G.SKILL Releases Fastest 32GB (4x8GB) Trident Z RGB Memory Kit at DDR4-4266MHz