Packaging and Overview
Retail packaging is done well, and the motherboard is prominently displayed on the box. The motherboard is well protected from the elements inside an anti-static bag.
The accessory package includes six SATA6Gb/s cables, RGB LED extension/splitter, WIFI card, WIF card USB hookup, gold and silver optional panel covers, SLI HB bridge, VRM fan mounting hardware, two WIFI antenna, IO shield, 3D Mounting standoffs, cable stickers, documentation/manuals, and driver DVD.
There are six fan headers on the motherboard, and I have circled them in red. They all operate as hybrid PWM/DC mode headers, although I am sure that the pump header maxes out voltage at default. The headers can be configured through the UEFI or Windows to operate in either mode and reference different temperature sensors for their PWM curves.
The motherboard uses carbon fiber panels on the shields and chipset heat sink, but also offers the ability to change these panels out for gold or silver panels. The back of the motherboard doesn't have much circuitry other than some of the POSCAPs used for the VRMs.
The rear IO panel features PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse, clear CMOS button, BIOS Flashback button, two USB 2.0 ports, eight USB 3.0 ports, USB 3.1 type-A, USB 3.1 type-C, 1Gbit LAN, and 7.1 gold plated audio outputs wish S/PDIF out.
The PCI-E layout is very simple; the x16 slots operate at x16/x8/x16/x8 PCI-E 3.0 at all times. The two x1 PCI-E slots are x1 PCI-E 2.0 each and connect to the chipset. Three M.2 slots operate at x4 PCI-E 3.0, and each one has an M.2 Shield which is supposed to help cool down M.2 drives, or at least make them more aesthetically appealing.
Six of the eight SATA6Gb/s ports are right angled as are the two internal USB 3.0 headers. The remaining two SATA6Gb/s headers are angled vertically and are located right below the 24-pin motherboard power connector.
You also get two 8-pin CPU power plugs on the motherboard as well as a 6-pin PCI-E power plug that provides extra juice to the PCI-E slots.
MSI also put in an overclocking knob with preset overclocking profiles, a power button, a reset button, and a POST code display in the lower right-hand corner of the motherboard. The motherboard also features an internal USB 3.1 type-C header on this bottom row.
MSI has also incorporated an RGB LED header as well as a digital RGB header. While most digital RGB headers on motherboards from other vendors offer power, ground, and data pins, MSI has also added in a clock pin.
MSI has a few headers located on the motherboard that will engage certain "hidden" features, such as the slow-mode header. The demo LED header allows you to quickly change between RGB LED presets. Two USB 2.0 headers are located to the left of the USB 3.1 type-C internal header.
The heat sinks are interesting on this motherboard, as the VRM heat sink is very tall and seems to be optimized for decent airflow, while the chipset heat sink is designed to act as a sink. The back of the VRM also gets a heat sink.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC TR4 Motherboard retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC TR4 Motherboard retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC Overview]
- Page 3 [MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Acer Predator X27: 4K 144Hz HDR G-Sync f or $1999 on June 1
- Paradox Interactive announce Imperator: Rome, trailer reveal
- Resident Evil 7 will debut to Nintendo Switch, only in Japan
- Overwatch director hints at cross-platform opportunities
- Deadpool 2 fails to beat Deadpool's opening weekend revenue
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- If I use the M2_1 slot in the x470 Taichi Ultimate ,will it take away PCIE lanes from the GPU?
- Buy 3 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB SM-G960UZKAXAA $1,257
- Photo Backup and Build your own cloud with Synology
- Buy 2 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 SM-G960UZKAXAA 64GB $1,038
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit