What You Get
Packaging for this device consists of a hard plastic shell. Given the small size, that is all that is needed. After you open up the shell, you have only four pieces to remove. The drive unit, an interface cable, a pouch and a small instruction manual.
Once you're ready to begin using this device, the drive and the cable will both neatly fit into the pouch. Since it isn't likely you'll be carrying around the instruction manual (it only covers base specifications and how to attach it to a computer in a variety of languages), you'll have everything you need in a small and easy to carry container.
The drive unit itself is an actual hard drive, not a flash-type memory card. It is based on the Toshiba 1.8" hard disk drive. It has a spindle speed of 4200-RPM and draws 3.3v of power. Data sheets show it to have a 512KB buffer and it operates at the ATA-6 specifications, which equates to a UDMA-100 drive. Sizes available from X-Micro start at 5GB at the low end and range upwards to 40GB of total disk capacity.
The aluminum shell surrounding the drive is fully enclosed, so you won't be able to peek inside to try to tweak things. Given the base operation of the device, however, this shouldn't be an issue. The aluminum material also helps dissipate heat so you shouldn't have to worry about data corruption due to excessive heat buildup.
One item of note; the physical drive specifications show a requirement of only 3.3v, but X-Micro states a 5v requirement. This means that it would be best to attach the drive to a USB port that comes directly from the system and not a hub. Some USB multi-port hubs are not capable of putting out 5v to all ports, so be forewarned.
Sorry for the flash glare, but this will give you an idea as to the actual size of the drive. When the manufacturers make claims that it is just a little bigger than a business card, they truly are not kidding around. Overall length measures in at under 10cm and the drive, interface cable and pouch will fit very nicely in a shirt pocket.
Speaking of interfacing, the port you see above and the small LED light beside it are the only external areas of interest. The LED is a dual-color type that shows green when the drive is powered and orange when it is transferring data. The small port is for the USB cable.
This cable as a matter of fact. You'll also note that it is short. While this may be an issue for some, the short length makes it easily fit inside the pouch with the drive. Besides, with so many cases nowadays coming with front and/or side mounted USB ports, it is pretty easy to make use of the short cable.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft, Facebook complete 160Tbps undersea cable
- Apple won't let you download 4K, only stream on Apple TV
- Sony isn't 'entirely comfortable' being VR market leader
- G.SKILL launches 128GB DDR4 RAM kit for Threadripper
- Bethesda pursues long-lasting relationship with Nintendo
- Upgrading USB ports on top of case
- Areca ARC-8050T3 12-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID DAS Review
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card
- G.Skill releases AMD Ryzen-optimized Trident Z RGB DDR4 memory
- Hear the difference feel the beat of the DRUM