Inside the Rival 500
We do find a PCB in the top half of the mouse, and this not only controls the lighting for the logo but is also where the CPI button and B13 send signals to. The lower section contains all of the rest of the functionality within the side button section at the left and everything provided in the main black PCB.
Under B1 we find an orange switch which requires medium pressure to actuate and reports with a soft click sound. We are unsure of the OEM for these switches, But SteelSeries is sure to put their logo on the cover. We also can see a bit of the tilt mechanism for the scroll wheel, which uses large springs to help keep it centered.
Placed just behind the scroll wheel is the optical sensor. Just like the literature explained, SteelSeries chose the PixArt PMW3350M, which is more than capable with up to 16,000 CPI, allowing users a wide range of sensitivity to find the perfect setting.
The ARM processor of choice is the ST Microelectronics STM32F103-RCT6. This is a 32-bit ARM Cortex-M3 processor with a 72MHz clock, and is also where the onboard memory is located, which keeps your settings active after programming, even on another PC without the software installed.
Back to the front, this time on the right side, we find that the switch under B2 is a match to what we saw under B1, as it should be. With thirty million clicks to use up, the Rival 5000 should be around with you for a long time to come.
Once reassembled, we plugged the USB 2.0 cable into the PC and were greeted with the orange glow of the logo on the heel by default. The logo can be controlled to any particular color or can run through the gamut of color options, but the second light on the mouse does not function at the same rate.
An independent LED also makes the center of the scroll wheel glow. By default, it is orange to match the logo, but it can also be changed, and when in ColorShift mode, it does change at a slower rate than the logo does.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United Kingdom: The SteelSeries Rival 500 MOBA/MMO Gaming Mouse retails for £ at Amazon UK.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Diablo III once resembled Diablo II
- Final Fantasy XIV's new expansion is called Shadowbringers
- Cliffy B is done making games
- Devil May Cry TV show coming to Netflix
- Sony skips E3 2019 for PlayStation-centric showcase
- Z390 Taichi Onboard LED issue
- Z77-D3H MB and bizzare boot issue
- HyperX Gaming microSD 128GB Review
- FS:[20Pieces] Apple iPhone XR.Xs.Xs Max 64/256/512GB.$8,980
- Kolumno is now available on PC, mobile and Smart TVs
- Wolfalone Studio announces Darwin's Test!
- World's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale NowWorld's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale Now
- Nexon Secures Global Publishing Rights For Pokelabo, Square Enix-Developed SinoAlice
- Makeblock Announces Educational Partnership with Gratnells Storage Solutions