Packaging, Accessories, and Documentation
While the packaging of the Rival 500 may seem a bit bland, that bright orange stripe across it will attract the eyes. There is a large image of the mouse, shifted just left of center, which shows off the buttons the Rival 500 comes with. Along with the company and product names, there are notifications of the ergonomic side buttons, the tactile alerts, the Prism RGB illumination, as well as the fact that this is Windows and MAC capable.
On this thin side of the box, the bright orange stripe continues behind a close-up image of the left-front of the Rival 500. The reason it is done is to address the reinforced left and right buttons and to tell us that the main switches have a thirty million click lifespan.
The back of the box starts with a message that there is a lock under the mouse which will eliminate a pair of buttons and make for a solid thumb rest. On the right, we find a list of features found in, on, and around the Rival 500, while on the left, we see red dots denoting each of the fifteen buttons in two images.
The last side of the box offers a close-up look at the logo on the heel which can be backlit by any of the 16.8 million colors the software delivers. Above the image, SteelSeries is sure to mention the tactile alert system they have built into the Rival 500, as this is a feature that will be pleasing to many gamers.
The top of the box even gets into the information display game. At a glance, you can see mentions of the optical sensor, the fifteen buttons, thirty million clicks of life, 16.000 CPI, 300 IPS of tracking, and the Prism RGB illumination. We also find that here, there are shout-outs to the four teams who helped make this Rival 500 a reality.
The packaging is designed with an external cardboard sleeve, which once removed, we find SteelSeries took the time to make a fancy inner package as well. The design mimics the outside, but there is "Rise to the Challenge" printed on the inner package.
Inside of the box, we find that the Rival 500 is not covered in any plastic to protect the rubberized finishes, but the mouse is nearly fully enclosed in dense foam to help it to arrive safely. The cable is set into an open area, which keeps it away from the mouse, but we can see some blemishes in the rubberized coating of the Rival 500. The packaging is sufficient, but we do wish they took more steps to ensure the mouse was blemish free upon arrival.
The Rival 500 also comes with a quick start guide, which covers little about the mouse. In it, it is explained how the lock works, how to connect it to the PC, and where to go for the software that gives full control of fifteen button Rival 500. There is a help and safety section, and on the last page are site addresses, should you need support, FAQs, or where to shop for more SteelSeries gear.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The SteelSeries Rival 500 MOBA/MMO Gaming Mouse retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The SteelSeries Rival 500 MOBA/MMO Gaming Mouse retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Respawn: Apex Legends isn't viable without high priced skins
- Halo 6 creative director leaves, should we be concerned?
- New Obi-Wan Star Wars show coming on Disney+, Ewan McGregor to star
- Epic Games Store is changing for the better
- Destiny 2's crunch will help streamline Destiny 3
- GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Xtreme (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- COLORFUL iGame GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Vulcan X OC-V Review
- BIOS 5.40 Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4
- Problems during Start Up
- Animoca secures deal with Versus Systems to drive in-game revenue and player engagement
- Viotek Launches LinQ Portable Touchscreen Monitors
- SK hynix Unveils 'Gold S31' Consumer Solid-State Drive on Amazon
- Final Assault coming to PSVR in Q4 2019
- Veteran Video Games Industry Leader Kate Edwards Joins Global Game Jam as Executive Director