Wow, much easier and better than I expected. For the first time I was able to get a Zen based CPU to 4.1Ghz on the first try, and while you might think those temperatures are high, the "Tdie" is a more meaningful measure of temperature, as the "Tctl" uses an offset. Both motherboards overclocked my memory to 3200MHz with ease; they did it so easily I was super impressed. I was able to get the 1950X to 4GHz on all cores while the 1920X could hit 4.1GHz.
I used 1.35v set for both CPUs, as the motherboards will auto set your VCore to 1.36v when you overclock, and I thought that was a bit high regarding thermals. Overclocking Threadripper is easier than more fun than overclocking Ryzen 3, 5, or 7 and I didn't expect that. The overclock on the 1950X resulted in one of the highest 4K rendering FPS I have seen, almost breaking 100FPS.
For the ASRock motherboard I set CPU Frequency and Voltage change to manual and set the CPU frequency and VCore, then I just enabled XMP, and I had a stable overclock.
On the ASUS motherboard, I set overclock mode to D.O.C.P. and then CPU Core ratio and then I manually set VCore. I was able to boot at 4.1GHz, but the VCore required to remain stable was too high, I assume it's the luck of the draw.
The Ryzen Threadripper 1950X's power draw is roughly 220W from the CPU power connectors, meaning that the CPU is using roughly 210W (if not less) itself after VRM switching losses. It's below that of the Skylake-X parts I have tested, but very close.
The 1920X is the same story, but in Gamer Mode, it's significantly less, but not close to that of the 1800X, perhaps because of the internal IO and Infinity Fabric.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Threadripper Internal Configurations]
- Page 3 [The CPU and Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of the Singularity]
- Page 8 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]