All CPUs are tested with Out of the Box Performance, which means that no settings were altered, so basically default CPU and RAM speeds. AMD's default mode is UMA/Distributed/Creator operation mode, where the memory is wide, so I also tested the 1950X in Gamer's mode, which makes the memory local and disables one of the dies, so it makes it basically a 1800X (8c/16t) with quad channel memory.
I also tested both the 1920X and 1950X with "AMD Optimized," which means memory speed of 2666MHz as stated on AMD's official CPU specifications.
I think this is what everyone is waiting to see. Does AMD's Threadripper somehow overcome Intel's offerings in regards to gaming? The truth is Threadripper can't beat out Ryzen 7 in gaming, even with the Gaming mode, where the 1950X or 1920X can emulate Ryzen 7 CPUs. It does maintain decent FPS, but it doesn't go above and beyond what we have seen from Ryzen 7 or competitor offerings.
However, there is a lot of hope, especially in synthetic benchmarks, and that hope comes in the form of memory overclocking and optimizations. When we increase memory speeds from 2133MHz (stock) to 2666Mhz (AMD Optimized Stock), we see huge jumps in certain games, allowing the 1950X to compete head to head against Intel's offerings.
CloudGate is an exception to this, AMD's offerings pretty much stay steady. UNIGINE shows bigger increases with memory speed increases, but Intel is still quite strong. UNIGINE seems to benefit from Gamer mode, and so do the synthetics to certain extents. However, these are just synthetic benchmarks, and now we will see real gaming performance.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Threadripper Internal Configurations]
- Page 3 [The CPU and Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of the Singularity]
- Page 8 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]