Threadripper Internal Configurations
The good news here is that AMD claims that Threadripper CPUs are at the top 5% of all Ryzen CPU dies, and that should mean that they have the best silicon in the batch and should clock higher. Threadripper's internal uArch is based on the same Zen micro architecture as is used in everything from Ryzen 3 CPUs to EPYC server CPUs, with a few exceptions when it comes to encryption units and the like.
However, the difference lies on the outside of the dies, and now the two dies are connected to each other and system components such as DRAM. AMD has incorporated different operating modes into the Ryzen Master software, which allows users to decide whether or not to put the CPU into a gaming mode, change how the dies interact with DRAM, and even offers a legacy mode to make the CPU like their Ryzen 7 counterparts but with quad-channel memory.
As I stated before, although the CPU has four silicon dies, only two are actually active or contain transistors (according to AMD they are not rejected EPYC parts), and these each has two CPU Core Complexes (CCX). Inside each die, the two CCX are connected by AMD's Infinity Fabric, and then each die is connected to each other through Infinity Fabric. AMD's Infinity Fabric operates at 102.22GB/s bi-directionally die to die, with near memory latency at 78ns and 133ns for far memory. AMD has made it possible to access memory differently to take advantage of bandwidth or latency.
You can choose within Ryzen Master to allow the CPU to operate in UMA mode (Distributed in the application) or NUMA mode (Local mode in the application). Distributed mode is the default operating mode, and it actually allows you to engage another mode called "Legacy Mode," which disables one die and allows one die to use quad channel memory. When in UMA mode, you get very wide DRAM access, but latency is increased while bandwidth is increased. In NUMA mode, DRAM accessed is close to each die, greatly reducing latency.
AMD's own benchmarking is quite close to the results I have seen, with UMA mode providing high bandwidth and NUMA providing better latency but slightly lower bandwidth.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Threadripper Internal Configurations]
- Page 3 [The CPU and Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of the Singularity]
- Page 8 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The PC game store wars begin
- NieR: Automata's 2B arrives in Soulcalibur VI on December 18
- Anthem: Legion of Dawn Edition Trailer - Armor & Story
- New Mortal Kombat 11 image leaks, Kombat Pass 6 DLC fighters
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate weekly events: Spirits & More
- HyperX Savage EXO Portable SSD Review
- AM1H-ITX will not turn on what do I do next?
- MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro Firmware 12.1 Update - Higher Peaks
- ASUS ZX53VW keyboard issue
- Seagate Game Drive for Xbox 2TB SSD Review
- Six days until the new update launch of Seal Online: B.O.D!
- The SoulKeeper VR releasing a new open world campaign with new mechanics, in the form of Early Access version 2, in 2019
- The Game Awards More Than Doubles Viewership in 2018 Live Audience Grows To Over 26 million Livestrems
- Gameloft and the LEGO Group Partner to Bring 40 years of LEGO Minifigure History to Mobile
- New Breach Hero Class Trailer Highlights The Powerful Arcane Mender