I found that my 7820X could overclock to 4.7Ghz with 1.225v VCore and 1.75V input voltage. Our stability test here does engage AVX, which greatly increases power consumption and temperatures, but I didn't need to use an AVX offset, so I was able to transcode a 4K video to 1080P with ease. I broke 80C on some cores, but I also had a fan blowing at the VRM so that the VRM didn't have a chance to overheat.
To overclock the CPU I set CPU ratio to 47, set CPU Ratio mode to fixed (so frequency won't drop at idle), enabled XMP for memory, dialed in 1.75v VIN and 1.225v VCore, and lastly, I set LLC to Mode 2 under MSI's DigitALL Power menu. I would say overclocking this CPU is easy, but you are going to hit a thermal wall because of the thermal paste, so if you have better cooling or a de-lidded CPU, you will do wonders.
I went back and re-tested the 7900X's CPU power consumption and increased the polling rate for my measurement instruments and I found that it uses a ton of power. Of course, the power consumption numbers under load are taken at the 8-pin and while the CPU is under a full AVX stress test load (worst case).
I will say that I wasn't surprised to find that the new BIOS ushered in slightly lower power consumption, but rumors have it that a new beta microcode will reduce those numbers even further.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Intel Core i7-7820X X-Series Skylake-X 8C/16T CPU retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Intel Core i7-7820X X-Series Skylake-X 8C/16T CPU retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GIVEAWAY: ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Pro Gaming i9 XE boards
- Battle royale revenue to grow 600% in 2018
- Fortnite makes over $1 billion in less than a year
- Treyarch tease COD: Black Ops 4 zombies Comic-Con reveal
- Call of Cthulhu releases this Halloween
- HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 550 - can it run silent?
- Unlock Outlook PST Recovery Tool
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit