I found that my 7820X could overclock to 4.7Ghz with 1.225v VCore and 1.75V input voltage. Our stability test here does engage AVX, which greatly increases power consumption and temperatures, but I didn't need to use an AVX offset, so I was able to transcode a 4K video to 1080P with ease. I broke 80C on some cores, but I also had a fan blowing at the VRM so that the VRM didn't have a chance to overheat.
To overclock the CPU I set CPU ratio to 47, set CPU Ratio mode to fixed (so frequency won't drop at idle), enabled XMP for memory, dialed in 1.75v VIN and 1.225v VCore, and lastly, I set LLC to Mode 2 under MSI's DigitALL Power menu. I would say overclocking this CPU is easy, but you are going to hit a thermal wall because of the thermal paste, so if you have better cooling or a de-lidded CPU, you will do wonders.
I went back and re-tested the 7900X's CPU power consumption and increased the polling rate for my measurement instruments and I found that it uses a ton of power. Of course, the power consumption numbers under load are taken at the 8-pin and while the CPU is under a full AVX stress test load (worst case).
I will say that I wasn't surprised to find that the new BIOS ushered in slightly lower power consumption, but rumors have it that a new beta microcode will reduce those numbers even further.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Intel Core i7-7820X Processor retails for $569.00 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Intel Core i7-7820X X-Series Skylake-X 8C/16T CPU retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NeoGAF goes down, owner embroiled in sexual harrassment
- ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 Ti teased with triple-fan cooler
- Bitcoin hits $6000, with $100 billion in value
- Galaxy S9: 6GB RAM, headphone jack is a selling point
- Mass Effect dev: EA only cares about highest returns
- Gigabyte AB-350 G3 CPU LED & No POST after update ->rollback?
- AMD Threadripper vs. Intel Core i9 CPUs Clock for Clock
- ex58-UD3R rev 1.6
- RAID on a new X370 Fatal1ty Gaming X with m.2 SSDs using a PCIe card.
- LGA-775 GA-EP35-DS3P (rev 2.1), Q9550 e0 overclocking advice please?
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard