Scythe Byakko CPU Cooler
Right out of the box, staring the white tiger dead in the face, we find a black fan covering the majority of the tower, mounted already with wire fan clips. The fan wire is bundled and tucked between the fins and the base, and we can see that the Intel hardware is already mounted to it.
This view of the cooler gives us a few things to point out as well. It is easy to see all three pipes as they run through the fins from the top down, and we also see that the pipes are bent to shift the cooler to the back. We also like that the pipes are nickel plated, something we did not expect for the cost.
The view from the back of the cooler shows the real story with the heat pipes. While they looked evenly placed in the last image, we can see now that two pipes are inset so that all three pipes are offset from each other. This allows each pipe to get a fresh flow of air, which helps to remove heat more efficiently.
Since we covered everything else when we looked at the other side of the Byakko, let us draw your attention to the base. It is there that we find that it is a two-part design, using a copper base rather than opting for exposed pipes.
The fin we see here is identical to each fin in the stack. Not only is the leading and trailing edges cut back to allow for air pressure to build, but the logo in the center also helps to disturb the airflow, and effectively pushes it out to the pipes.
A closer look at the base shows us that Scythe ribbed the top section of aluminum, which acts as a pre-cooler. While the Intel mounting hardware is currently screwed to the base, once removed, the wide section in the middle is where the AMD cross-bar latch will go.
As we mentioned, the copper heat pipes are plated, which helps with the overall appeal, and does continue the "white" theme. As they enter the fin stack, we find the fins to be pressed on.
On either side of the base, we can now see the screws which hold the Intel mounting legs in place. AMD users will need to remove these. We also see the base mating surface has been protected with plastic, which has a warning on it, so it does not get left on when it comes time to install it.
The base of the Byakko is slightly convex, and there is more deflection near the edges then where the IHS will make contact. While the nickel plating does add shine to the base, if you look closely, there are visible circular machining marks left.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Scythe Byakko SCBYK-1000 CPU Cooler retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Scythe Byakko SCBYK-1000 CPU Cooler retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Scythe Byakko CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GIGABYTE releases RX 580 Gaming Box, portable mining box!!
- NVIDIA powers 92.2% of VR gamers, leaves AMD with just 7.8%
- CD Projekt RED opens new studio to work on Cyberpunk 2077
- Tencent to publish Ubisoft's biggest games in China
- Vivendi cancels Ubisoft takeover, to sell all company shares
- Buy 5 Pieces Apple iPhone X 64GB New Unlocked $4,245
- NZXT H700i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- TRENDnet Four Channel DVR Kit Review
- Asus G75 won't boot
- ROG G75 won't boot bios
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit