The first thing you might want to do is flash your BIOS to the latest one that carries the new AEGIS 18.104.22.168 microcode. This microcode greatly improves memory overclocking, for the first time I was able to hit 3200MHz by only enabling XMP, which is a great improvement.
To overclock the processor, I first focused on the maximum CPU clock and then I enabled XMP. I use a maximum of 1.35v, as this provides me with temperatures that stay under 80-90C, and in this case, I used the stock cooler. I was able to set 3.9Ghz for the 1300X and 3.7Ghz for the 1200 on all cores.
The Ryzen 3 1300X overclocked to 3.9Ghz with 1.35v; add more voltage, and it gets too hot. The Ryzen 3 1200 was able to do only 3.7GHz, 3.8Ghz wasn't bootable at 1.35v. I also only used the included cooler, and I was impressed at how well the CPU's were able to stay below maximum temperature with a small aluminum CPU cooler.
I was shocked that I could overclock with a stock cooler. The most impressive part is that both CPUs were able to run XMP of 3.2GHz using a GEIL EVO RGB kit, something that wasn't possible in the past, but is now with the new CPU microcode.
The Ryzen 3 1300X's power draw is 63W under full CPU load, right under its 65W TDP. However, the shocker comes with the 1200, which only pulled 42W for the CPU. These wattage measurements are made at the isolated 8-pin CPU power connector for CPU power, and at the wall for system power.
That 20-watt difference is puzzling, as the 1200 doesn't run 1/3 the speed of the 1300X, but it does run a lot slower, doesn't turbo up to the same frequencies, and seems to use less voltage.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The CPUs and Coolers]
- Page 3 [Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of the Singularity]
- Page 8 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GIGABYTE releases RX 580 Gaming Box, portable mining box!!
- NVIDIA powers 92.2% of VR gamers, leaves AMD with just 7.8%
- CD Projekt RED opens new studio to work on Cyberpunk 2077
- Tencent to publish Ubisoft's biggest games in China
- Vivendi cancels Ubisoft takeover, to sell all company shares
- Buy 5 Pieces Apple iPhone X 64GB New Unlocked $4,245
- NZXT H700i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- TRENDnet Four Channel DVR Kit Review
- Asus G75 won't boot
- ROG G75 won't boot bios
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit