The 7740X is a very good overclocker, and Intel has done wonders with their 14nm+ process. It's the thing that sets Kaby Lake and Skylake microarchitectures apart and allows Kaby Lake processors to reach 5GHz stable. Not all CPUs will be able to do 5GHz stable with the 7700K, but I would venture almost all 7740X can hit the mark.
Even with AVX in use in HandBrake and no AVX offset, I was able to hit 5.1GHz stable on two 7740X. I only used 1.3v as well as XMP enabled so that I could have gone higher, but I wanted to keep a reasonable temperature under 90C max. While I can validate higher, I thought 5.1Ghz was a nice result.
I set CPU multiplier to 50x, enabled XMP, set CPU voltage to 1.3v, left everything else on auto, increased phase performance, increased current capabilities, and increased LLC to Turbo. It was easy to overclock the 7740X; it didn't prove to be a headache.
Power consumption was a surprise. The CPU has an 112W TDP while the 7700K has a 91W TDP, so I expected it to use more power, but instead, it did the opposite. It uses almost the same amount of power, but less system power at full load. At idle it uses basically the same power.
The reduction in system power could be due to the more efficient VRM designs we see on X299 motherboards, and that might be what keeps overall CPU power low. Another reason could be that Kaby Lake-X's silicon improvements have also improved power consumption.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Intel Core i7-7740X X-Series Kaby Lake-X CPU retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Intel Core i7-7740X X-Series Kaby Lake-X CPU retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NeoGAF goes down, owner embroiled in sexual harrassment
- ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 Ti teased with triple-fan cooler
- Bitcoin hits $6000, with $100 billion in value
- Galaxy S9: 6GB RAM, headphone jack is a selling point
- Mass Effect dev: EA only cares about highest returns
- Gigabyte AB-350 G3 CPU LED & No POST after update ->rollback?
- AMD Threadripper vs. Intel Core i9 CPUs Clock for Clock
- ex58-UD3R rev 1.6
- RAID on a new X370 Fatal1ty Gaming X with m.2 SSDs using a PCIe card.
- LGA-775 GA-EP35-DS3P (rev 2.1), Q9550 e0 overclocking advice please?
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard