Over the last five years, hard drive capacity has bloomed. In 2013, WD launched the 4TB Red series, and after a year they pushed that to 6TB. It took the industry two more years to get the 8TB, and now a single year later we have 10TB drives and the promise of 12TB very soon.
Like the previous model, the latest addition to the Red family of drives offers NASware 3.0, an updated version of the technology that aims to increase reliability and improve performance. WD has also brought in new technology with the expansion to 8 and 10TB solutions, HelioSeal makes helium filled drives possible eliminating turbulence allowing more disks and heads to operate in the same 3.5" package.
In addition, drives spin easier in a helium filled environment, lowering overall power consumption. 3DActive balance has been a staple of the Red family among others, and the 10TB takes advantage of this technology to increase longevity and drive performance.
The WD Red family is split into performance classes. The WD Red offers capacities from 750GB to 10TB designed and tested for one to eight bay NAS systems while the WD Red Pro offers 2TB through 10TB options fit for NAS systems up to 16 bays. Looking at the specs above, the 10TB solution carries a SATA 6Gb/s interface with an internal transfer rate of 210 MB/s. 256MB of cache compliments this drive while it sits in the 5400 RPM performance class. Reliability is outlined with a one million hour MTBF and 600,000 load/unload cycle rating. The workload rate of the standard WD Red sits at 180 TB/year.
Power consumption starts with a 1.79A rating with average consumption sitting at 5.7 watts, idle at 2.8 watts and sleep using just 0.5 watts. Drive noise for those concerned reads at 29dBA on average with a 20dBA idle reading.
The WD Red 10TB carries a three-year warranty and an MSRP of $399.99.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The WD Red 10TB NAS HDD retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The WD Red 10TB NAS HDD retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Google's Project Stream is the future of gaming
- EA folds Battlefront II into its subscription services
- Red Dead Online microtransactions are live
- The PC game store wars begin
- NieR: Automata's 2B arrives in Soulcalibur VI on December 18
- HyperX Savage EXO Portable SSD Review
- AM1H-ITX will not turn on what do I do next?
- MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro Firmware 12.1 Update - Higher Peaks
- ASUS ZX53VW keyboard issue
- Seagate Game Drive for Xbox 2TB SSD Review
- Symbaroum: Yndaros - The Darkest Star expansion Released Today
- Enjoy the Winter Season of R.O.H.A.N.: Blood Feud
- Warlords Awakening release surprises for Christmas
- The Switchblade Christmas Update Is Out Now
- Great Britain & Ireland DLC Out Now For Railway Empire