The top of the CPU features a very large heat spreader like the one Broadwell-E used. The bottom is where we find the pads that fit into the LGA2066 socket. The new socket's mounting hardware allows for the use of LGA-2011 heat sink coolers; we are glad Intel decided not to change the cooler mounting.
To Skylake-X does have a chip on it labeled "642 X8", and it is a RFID tag. However, Intel confirms that is does nothing on consumer SKUs; it's just a holdover from the fact that Skylake-X CPUs are from the top of the stack, meaning they are lower-end equivalents of their Xeon counterparts.
Skylake-X uses the Skylake microarchitecture, which is pretty much the same as the Kaby Lake architecture. However, while Kaby Lake-X is basically a transplant of its Z270 counterpart, Skylake-X is not. It has a few changes, but the core microarchitecture remains the same.
It has an improved front-end and increased bandwidth, but we have known this since Skylake launched over a year ago, so the slides above are just a rehash of the changes made in Skylake over Haswell. At the time, Intel called it their "Best CPU Ever," and it did provide roughly 7% IPC increase over Haswell.
Intel rebalanced the cache hierarchy, and now the L3 cache, which is half the size it was in the previous generation, acts as a victim cache and is filled with evictions from the L2 cache (which is private to each core). The L2 cache is quadruple the size it was in previous generations, bringing cache closer to each core. Intel has also shifted to a mesh architecture from a ring.
CPU interconnect layout is very important, and it can also account for anywhere from 15-30% of the CPU's power budget. The reason for this shift was not only to facilitate better interconnects for higher core count CPUs but also perhaps because of this change in cache policy and distribution.
AVX512 has also been added to Skylake-X, and the new library offers many different optimizations along with some very useful instructions that can be easily taken advantage of to improve performance. The types of optimizations are especially useful in workstation and above applications, which is one of the targets of the Skylake-X line of processors.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The CPU and New Additions]
- Page 3 [Test Setup and New Hardware]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Perf.: Handbrake, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Perf.: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance]
- Page 8 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6 creative director leaves, should we be concerned?
- New Obi-Wan Star Wars show coming on Disney+, Ewan McGregor to star
- Epic Games Store is changing for the better
- Destiny 2's crunch will help streamline Destiny 3
- RNGesus blesses Destiny 2 with new expansive Armor 2.0 update
- GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Xtreme (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- COLORFUL iGame GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Vulcan X OC-V Review
- BIOS 5.40 Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4
- Problems during Start Up
- Animoca secures deal with Versus Systems to drive in-game revenue and player engagement
- Viotek Launches LinQ Portable Touchscreen Monitors
- SK hynix Unveils 'Gold S31' Consumer Solid-State Drive on Amazon
- Final Assault coming to PSVR in Q4 2019
- Veteran Video Games Industry Leader Kate Edwards Joins Global Game Jam as Executive Director