The top of the CPU features a very large heat spreader like the one Broadwell-E used. The bottom is where we find the pads that fit into the LGA2066 socket. The new socket's mounting hardware allows for the use of LGA-2011 heat sink coolers; we are glad Intel decided not to change the cooler mounting.
To Skylake-X does have a chip on it labeled "642 X8", and it is a RFID tag. However, Intel confirms that is does nothing on consumer SKUs; it's just a holdover from the fact that Skylake-X CPUs are from the top of the stack, meaning they are lower-end equivalents of their Xeon counterparts.
Skylake-X uses the Skylake microarchitecture, which is pretty much the same as the Kaby Lake architecture. However, while Kaby Lake-X is basically a transplant of its Z270 counterpart, Skylake-X is not. It has a few changes, but the core microarchitecture remains the same.
It has an improved front-end and increased bandwidth, but we have known this since Skylake launched over a year ago, so the slides above are just a rehash of the changes made in Skylake over Haswell. At the time, Intel called it their "Best CPU Ever," and it did provide roughly 7% IPC increase over Haswell.
Intel rebalanced the cache hierarchy, and now the L3 cache, which is half the size it was in the previous generation, acts as a victim cache and is filled with evictions from the L2 cache (which is private to each core). The L2 cache is quadruple the size it was in previous generations, bringing cache closer to each core. Intel has also shifted to a mesh architecture from a ring.
CPU interconnect layout is very important, and it can also account for anywhere from 15-30% of the CPU's power budget. The reason for this shift was not only to facilitate better interconnects for higher core count CPUs but also perhaps because of this change in cache policy and distribution.
AVX512 has also been added to Skylake-X, and the new library offers many different optimizations along with some very useful instructions that can be easily taken advantage of to improve performance. The types of optimizations are especially useful in workstation and above applications, which is one of the targets of the Skylake-X line of processors.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The CPU and New Additions]
- Page 3 [Test Setup and New Hardware]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Perf.: Handbrake, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Perf.: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance]
- Page 8 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GIGABYTE releases RX 580 Gaming Box, portable mining box!!
- NVIDIA powers 92.2% of VR gamers, leaves AMD with just 7.8%
- CD Projekt RED opens new studio to work on Cyberpunk 2077
- Tencent to publish Ubisoft's biggest games in China
- Vivendi cancels Ubisoft takeover, to sell all company shares
- Buy 5 Pieces Apple iPhone X 64GB New Unlocked $4,245
- NZXT H700i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- TRENDnet Four Channel DVR Kit Review
- Asus G75 won't boot
- ROG G75 won't boot bios
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit