Here are key points about the ASUS Z270-WS.
Quality VRM: The Z270-WS has one of the most powerful VRMs on a Z270 motherboard. As part of ASUS's workstation series of motherboards, we don't expect anything lower. ASUS's International Rectifier digital PWMs and fully integrated power stages are used to produce a true 8-phase core voltage VRM and 4-phase iGPU VRM.
PEX8747: The PEX8747 from Avago (owned by Broadcom), is one of the only chips in the industry capable of doubling downstream PCI-E bandwidth from x16 PCI-E 3.0 to x32 PCI-E 3.0. It's also a rare commodity in the industry, and most motherboard vendors only have a handful of motherboards with the chip. The Z270-WS is ASUS's Z270 PEX8747 motherboard, and it supports 3-way and 4-way SLI and CrossFireX.
Dual M.2 and U.2: The motherboard features four 32Gb/s connections. Two M.2 slots located near the PCI-E slots and two U.2 ports are located at convenient locations and support the latest in storage technology, including Intel's Optane.
Tons of USB: People love USB, and that is because almost all accessories use the protocol. ASUS implemented two USB 3.1 controllers; one for the rear IO that provides one type-A and one type-C connection, and the other provides an internal type-C header. The rear IO also features four USB 2.0 ports and four USB 2.0 ports. Internally we get one USB 2.0 header and one USB 3.0 header near the 24-pin power connector.
Price: At almost $400, the Z270-WS is very expensive, and that is perhaps due to the PEX8747.
The ASUS Z270-WS is the embodiment of a workstation motherboard. Its no-nonsense aesthetics is part of its professional theme. There are no RGB LEDs (although there is a header), the heat sinks are more tactical than flashy, and its features (such as dual U.2) are more in line with what power users require. ASUS also executes the motherboard quite well with seven fan headers and optional expansion header, 32 PCI-E lanes in four x16 slots, and component decisions focused on longevity.
My only issue with the motherboard is the price, at almost $400, it's very high and you basically need to take advantage of the PEX8747 and extra PCI-E slots for that to make sense. There is actually a lot of hype surrounding ASUS's WS series of motherboards because of their longstanding reputation for reliability, and the Z270-WS should be a crowd pleaser.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Overall TweakTown Rating||92%|
The Bottom Line: If you need an Intel Z270-based motherboard that is all professional yet very powerful, the ASUS Z270-WS should be at the top of your list.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United Kingdom: The ASUS Z270-WS Workstation- Black retails for £364.65 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Z270-WS Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS Z270-WS Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS Z270-WS Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Path of Exile 2019 roadmap detailed
- Microsoft calls Project xCloud its 'Netflix for games'
- Blizzard hiring 17 devs for new Diablo game
- Overkill's The Walking Dead delayed on PS4, Xbox One
- Ronda Rousey will voice Sonya Blade in Mortal Kombat XI
- Administrators and moderators
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Western Digital Black SN750 SSD Review
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media