While it feels like Intel launched the Z270 chipset a long time ago, it has actually been just six months since the platform hit the market, and today I will look at a "refreshed" Z270 motherboard. We usually see two or three waves of each Intel chipset from most vendors. The initial wave usually consists of a large lineup from the low-end to the high-end, and the second wave is usually significantly smaller and focuses on each brand's core strengths.
For ASUS, this includes their top of the line ROG and workstation motherboards, and today I will look at the Z270-WS. The Z270-WS features the capability to run four GPUs in SLI or CrossFireX, a hefty serving of USB 3.1, and the latest in storage technologies. You might be wondering what the point of 4-way SLI support is now that NVIDIA has limited their top GPUs to 2-way SLI, the answer; mining is back. Recently we have seen lesser known cryptocurrencies such as Ethereum, which recently rallied 2700% and is ASIC resistant, meaning you are going to be using GPUs to make your money.
Let's take a look at what could be considered a really stable motherboard with workstation and mining use cases.
The Z270-WS offers two Intel Gbit NICs, 4-way SLI/CrossFireX, two U.2 ports, two M.2 slots, USB 3.1 at the rear and through an internal header, and even overclocking features.
The Z270-WS costs $379.99, but depending on stock, that could go up.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Z270-WS Overview]
- Page 3 [ASUS Z270-WS Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASUS Z270-WS Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]