This is where you can fast forward to the final section of the review, and get a quick recap and points on the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 and 1400.
Six for the Price of Four: At $219.99 the Ryzen 5 1600 offers significant value over comparable Intel parts if you need cores. Most computing needs other than gaming can take advantage of more cores, and that is where Ryzen is strongest.
Overclockable: While 3.9GHz isn't the most impressive overclock for a 1700X or 1800X, it is for a 3.2Ghz base/3.4GHz Turbo Ryzen 5 1400. You can easily take up all the cores on both the Ryzen 5 1600 and 1400 to 3.9Ghz or further depending on luck, and receive a huge performance increase. AMD's competitor doesn't allow overclocking on non-K SKUs.
Gaming Above 1080P: If you are going to game at QHD (2560x1440) or UHD/4K (3840x2160) then Ryzen 5 CPUs are a very good option because you will most likely be GPU bound on newer titles unless you have a few GTX 1080s or 1080 TIs in SLI.
SoC and Platform Cost: Since AMD integrated four USB 3.0 and x4 PCI-E 3.0 into their Ryzen 5 and 7 CPUs, it allows motherboard vendors to use a wide variety of chipsets that might cost less, but still offer the end-user a healthy selection of features. It's one reason B350 chipset motherboards are so popular; because they cost less but offer a lot.
New Platform Still Needs Some Work: We have heard that a late May AEGIS microcode update is going to bring some great memory and performance tweaks to the platform, and we look forward to those. In the meantime, we still see some issues common to new platforms. I couldn't even get the Ryzen 5 1400 to overclock memory past 2133MHz, and that was a bit shocking. I might be able to chalk it up for BIOS that needs more optimizations for memory overclocking of CPUs down the pole, but it could also be a bad IMC.
The Ryzen 5 CPUs are solid CPUs and are extremely competitive at their price points. However, if you are looking for a CPU to do it all at one price point, that probably isn't going to happen. At one price point, Intel might be better at gaming but worse at productivity while the opposite could be said for AMD at the same price point.
I am just happy that there is finally competition again in the industry and both companies are doing their best to get ahead. The Ryzen 5 CPUs are excellent competitors for Intel's i5 series, and the Ryzen R5 1600 and Ryzen R5 1400 are excellent value buys.
Ryzen 5 1400 - Value Award
Ryzen 5 1600 - Approved
Product Summary Breakdown
|Overall TweakTown Rating||90%|
The Bottom Line: AMD's Ryzen 5 1600 is a solid performing 6 core 12 thread CPU at an affordable price point, and while the Ryzen 5 1400 might not have all the cores that Ryzen is known for, both are great value buys.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The AMD Ryzen 5 1600 and Ryzen 5 1400 CPU retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The AMD Ryzen 5 1600 and Ryzen 5 1400 CPU retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The CPUs and Packaging]
- Page 3 [Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of the Singularity]
- Page 8 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- If Anthem's cosmetics fail, paid expansions are likely
- The Divison 2 story sets U.S. capital aflame with chaos
- Lords of the Fallen devs open indie publishing label
- JUMP FORCE leaks images of Dragon Quest and JoJo Characters
- Steam discounts Mortal Kombat franchise, up to 75% off
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Customers Ask and Canon Delivers: New Professional Print & Layout Solution Now Available for Commercial, In-house and Professional Photographers
- OPPO Unveiled 10x Lossless Zoom, Ahead of Its Debut at MWC 2019
- True Flip Reveals Crypto-Themed Mining Factory With Plasmatron Bonus
- Stardock Announces a New Expansion for Galactic Civilizations III - Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution
- Cyberpunk Action-RPG Disjunction Coming to Steam Summer 2019