It's easy to tune the BIOS to overclock Ryzen CPUs. You just have to set the CPU frequency and enter in a CPU voltage. I start with 1.35v and go up if 39x or 40x doesn't work. Memory overclocking can be done by setting XMP, AMP, or DOCP or manually entering in frequency and timings, but don't forget the memory voltage.
The Ryzen 5 1600 overclocked to 4GHz, but it required 1.425v to remain stable, and temperatures went up to 84C. I am more comfortable with 1.35v as a maximum for 24/7 use, and the CPU can do 3.9GHz at that voltage. Memory overclocking was a bit disappointing, topping out around 2666Mhz rather than 2933Mhz the kit can do.
The Ryzen 5 1400 was able to hit 3900MHz with 1.400v, but I wasn't really expecting more. To get 4Ghz, it would have required over 1.45v to remain stable. One would think fewer cores would be easier to OC, and while that's true for the 1500X, it isn't for the 1400. It would seem that 4+4 CCX configurations with one bad CCX are sent down the line to become 1500X or 1400 depending on the quality of their cache and cores. What shocked me was that the memory controller, I couldn't get over 2133Mhz with this CPU, it could just be random luck or a current BIOS setting that needs to be optimized for the CPU.
The Ryzen 5 1600's power draw is predictable, but the Ryzen 5 1400's isn't. The Ryzen 5 1400 pulls much less power than the 1600 even though they have the same TDP.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The CPUs and Packaging]
- Page 3 [Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of the Singularity]
- Page 8 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]