It's easy to tune the BIOS to overclock Ryzen CPUs. You just have to set the CPU frequency and enter in a CPU voltage. I start with 1.35v and go up if 39x or 40x doesn't work. Memory overclocking can be done by setting XMP, AMP, or DOCP or manually entering in frequency and timings, but don't forget the memory voltage.
The Ryzen 5 1600 overclocked to 4GHz, but it required 1.425v to remain stable, and temperatures went up to 84C. I am more comfortable with 1.35v as a maximum for 24/7 use, and the CPU can do 3.9GHz at that voltage. Memory overclocking was a bit disappointing, topping out around 2666Mhz rather than 2933Mhz the kit can do.
The Ryzen 5 1400 was able to hit 3900MHz with 1.400v, but I wasn't really expecting more. To get 4Ghz, it would have required over 1.45v to remain stable. One would think fewer cores would be easier to OC, and while that's true for the 1500X, it isn't for the 1400. It would seem that 4+4 CCX configurations with one bad CCX are sent down the line to become 1500X or 1400 depending on the quality of their cache and cores. What shocked me was that the memory controller, I couldn't get over 2133Mhz with this CPU, it could just be random luck or a current BIOS setting that needs to be optimized for the CPU.
The Ryzen 5 1600's power draw is predictable, but the Ryzen 5 1400's isn't. The Ryzen 5 1400 pulls much less power than the 1600 even though they have the same TDP.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The AMD Ryzen 5 1600 and Ryzen 5 1400 CPU retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The AMD Ryzen 5 1600 and Ryzen 5 1400 CPU retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The CPUs and Packaging]
- Page 3 [Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of the Singularity]
- Page 8 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- If Anthem's cosmetics fail, paid expansions are likely
- The Divison 2 story sets U.S. capital aflame with chaos
- Lords of the Fallen devs open indie publishing label
- JUMP FORCE leaks images of Dragon Quest and JoJo Characters
- Steam discounts Mortal Kombat franchise, up to 75% off
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Customers Ask and Canon Delivers: New Professional Print & Layout Solution Now Available for Commercial, In-house and Professional Photographers
- OPPO Unveiled 10x Lossless Zoom, Ahead of Its Debut at MWC 2019
- True Flip Reveals Crypto-Themed Mining Factory With Plasmatron Bonus
- Stardock Announces a New Expansion for Galactic Civilizations III - Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution
- Cyberpunk Action-RPG Disjunction Coming to Steam Summer 2019