Physical Overview Continued
The unit is easy to open, but you will void your warranty if you do so. There are three fans, a huge battery, the HDD, but not a way to swap out the M.2 drive or upgrade RAM if needed.
A large heat sink and two blower fans cool down the GPU integrated into the notebook while a single fan cools down the integrated section. They ensured the fans are red, and you can actually get a glimpse of them through the vent holes on the rear of the notebook. What I really like about the heat sink and blower fans is that they exhaust out the rear and sides of the notebook, making use of the corners.
You can replace the Killer Wireless AC 1535 card, but I don't see why you would want to since it's one of the better wireless AC cards out there. The software is questionable, but the hardware is solid, and you don't need to use the software. There are two speakers I can access by opening the unit, but MSI claims there are four, so the other two must be on the other side.
The battery is a 5700mAh/65Wh unit. There are some ICs we can see to confirm a few things. The TPS65982 confirms that they are using Intel's specified configuration for their ThunderBolt 3 controller. The IC labeled 75DP159 is a DP++ to HDMI 2.0 re-timer, which makes the 4K/6Gbps HDMI 2.0 port on the side possible. The chip labeled bq24780S is a battery quick charger. The chip labeled APA2031 is a 2.6W audio amplifier with gain control. The chip labeled LVC601 is a SATA 6Gb/s re-driver, to ensure solid SATA performance.
The WIFI antennas are routed to right below the display/lid assembly, bringing it out of the metal chassis and closer to the air for better signal reception.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Physical Overview]
- Page 3 [Physical Overview Continued]
- Page 4 [Software and BIOS]
- Page 5 [System Performance Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [Gaming Performance Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System IO and Battery Performance]
- Page 8 [Thermal Performance]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sharkoon release the S1000 Micro-ATX case range
- FSP release 2000W dedicated mining power supply
- Black Friday sales sees Oculus Rift down to just $349
- Elon Musk receives approval for tunnel under LA
- Samsung could unveil the Galaxy S9 at CES 2018 in January
- Jaybird X3 Wireless Earbud Review
- ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Bluetooth
- ALiveNF6G-VSTA motherboard: squematic and dump BIOS
- Asrock H97m Pro4 BSOD installing Vega56
- GA-X79-UD7 memory frequency?
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ