Jon's Consumer PCIe SSD Intel Z270 Review Test System - Specifications
We want to give Corsair many thanks for providing the awesome white colored memory kit for our test system. As you can see, it complements the ASRock Taichi motherboard's color scheme quite nicely.
- Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Taichi - Buy from Amazon
- CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 5.0GHz - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Cooler: Arctic i30 Freezer air cooler
- Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB 3000MHz - Buy from Amazon
- Video Card: Onboard Video
- Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum 1000 Watt Modular - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit - Buy from Amazon
Test system provided by Intel - Specifications
- Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B250-PRO
- CPU: Intel Core i5-7500
- Cooler: Intel inbox air cooler
- Memory: 16GB DDR4 - 2400
- Video Card: Onboard Video
- Case: InWin Mid-Tower
- Power Supply: 550 Watt Modular
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
System settings: Cstates and Speed stepping are both disabled in our systems BIOS. Windows High-Performance power plan is enabled. Windows write caching is enabled, and Windows buffer flushing is disabled. We are utilizing Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS (Build 14393) for all of our testing except for our MOP (Maxed-Out Performance) benchmarks where we switch to Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit.
Intel sent along some benchmarks to test Optane Memory's responsiveness when launching programs and web browsers. We are not going to run those because we don't feel that those benchmarks show us anything meaningful than cannot be discerned adequately from our typical benchmarks. Intel's Optane Memory module is the most responsive SSD we've ever tested, and we feel that our testing will demonstrate this better than any of those types of tests will. We firmly believe that the ultimate evaluation for any storage device the user experience we get while running the device as our OS disk and that's one of the ways we will be testing Optane Memory today.
Enabling Optane Memory
Step one for enabling Optane memory is to download the latest Intel RST Driver with Optane Memory support. You can grab it here.
We are using Optane Memory to accelerate a 1TB WD Black mechanical HDD for low-cost, high-capacity storage and amazing system responsiveness.
After installing, open the Optane Memory control panel.
The Optane software begins the two-step process of enabling Optane Memory as a caching device for our mechanical HDD.
A restart is required after enabling Optane Memory.
Boot Speed (Restart to Desktop) - Videos
1TB WD Black mechanical HDD without Optane Memory on the system provided by Intel:
Restart time to desktop = 50 seconds. You can take the kids to school in the time it takes to boot a mechanical HDD.
1TB WD Black mechanical HDD + Optane Memory on the system provided by Intel:
Restart time to desktop = 14 seconds. Blazing fast with Optane Memory + HDD.
Optane Memory running as our OS Disk on TweakTown's Z270 SSD testing system:
Restart time to desktop = 10.5 seconds. Warp speed, Mr. Sulu.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Drive Specifications, Pricing & Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup, Optane Memory Setup & Boot Videos]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks - ATTO & Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark & AS SSD]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Vantage, PCMark 7, PCMark 8 & SYSmark 2014 SE]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Secondary) - Max IOPS & Disk Response]
- Page 8 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP)]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung might have accidentally teased foldable Galaxy X
- Uber taps Volvo, adds 24,000 self-driving cars to its gang
- Uber updates app with 'Live Location' functionality
- Publishers should raise game prices, says analyst
- GIVEAWAY: OCZ TR200 3D BiCS FLASH SSDs thanks to Toshiba
- Intel 15.X series Raid Rom compatible with X99??
- Intel Optane SSD 900P 280GB & 480GB AIC NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- p8z77-v Deluxe won't boot after new install of Win 10
- Secretlab OMEGA 2018 gaming chair: the new king is here
- NVIDIA TITAN Xp Star Wars Collector's Edition Unboxed
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ