Test System Setup
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 660 (800MHz FSB) (Supplied by Intel)
Memory: 2x Corsair 512MB DDR2-800 (Supplied by Corsair)
Motherboard: ASUS P5WD2 Premium (Supplied by ASUS)
Graphics Card: ASUS Radeon X800XT Platinum (Supplied by ASUS )
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP SP2
For our testing we used the ASUS P5WD2 Premium motherboard with the ICH7-R SB. Only Intel and nVidia have full SATA-II standard support in their latest chipsets. SiS currently has SATA-II on the cards as does ULi and ATI. VIA has not announced any new SATA-II support yet.
Both of our test drives were connected to the system through the ICH7-R SB and it's worth noting Seagate's current generation of SATA drives (7200.8) offer pretty good performance (as discussed here in our review of the drive earlier this year) so the Western Digital SATA-II drive will be under some pressure to perform well.
We would have liked to test in RAID 0 but unfortunately we only received one drive from Western Digital so we'll just be testing with single drives.
Let's get started!
Version and / or Patch Used: 3.0
Developer Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com
Product Homepage: http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach /
HD Tach has been around for a long time and is excellent when it comes to testing hard drive performance. It is also a very handy program when it comes to testing the controller used on particular motherboards. Tests such as Read, CPU Utilization and Burst are available at a click of the button and give you a good idea of how the hard drive can perform from system to system.
Despite a higher Host to drive transfer speed of SATA-II, it still has no real world advantage.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Features]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and HD Tach]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Telltale's The Walking Dead climbs out of its grave
- New digital-only Xbox reveal likely for E3 2019
- 5 minutes of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's 'World of Light'
- Fury's rage showcased in two new Darksiders III trailers
- Marvel & Riot partner to release 'League of Legends' comics
- Silicon Power Bolt B80 Portable SSD Review - Subtle Style
- NeueChair Review: Redefining The Modern Office Chair
- Crucial P1 500GB NVMe SSD - $100 NVMe
- Narrow bezel on a metallic chassis MSI PS42 14 Thin & Light Laptop Review
- Z390 Taichi Onboard LED issue
- 'Koala Stoner Noir' Free Demo Released Today. Full Game Updated With New Map Location And Cinema Experience
- TRENDnet launches long-range PoE+ switches
- ADATA Launches Ultimate SU630 3D QLC NAND SSD
- Razer announces the BlackWidow Lite
- ASUS ROG Announces ROG Strix Radeon RX 590 Graphics Card