Overclocking Ryzen isn't difficult, but the maximum frequency of most processors seems to be around 4.0-4.1GHz for validations and 3.9-4.0GHz for stable runs. All I had to do to overclock to set OC mode to manual and input the frequency in 25MHz increments, and either enable XMP or manually change the frequency, timings, and voltage. You can also enable XMP on this ASRock motherboard and then decrease the frequency.
For the Ryzen 5 1500X, I was able to boot into Windows at 4GHz and 1.35v, but even with 1.45v, I couldn't get it stable with the stock Wraith Spire cooler. The maximum stable overclocks I achieved are
3.9GHz on the CPU core with 1.38v, and 2933MHz on the memory (set XMP and lower multiplier).
The Ryzen 5 1600X could also boot into Windows at 4GHz, but I had to clock it down 50MHz to maintain stability at 1.35v. I was very surprised with the Ryzen 5 1600X's memory overclocking, I was able to hit 3200MHz with ease, and all I had to do was set XMP. It's the first time I was able to hit 3200MHz on the memory with a Ryzen CPU.
Ryzen Master is AMD's CPU overclocking tool similar to their WattMan CPU overclocking tool, for overclocking the CPU in Windows. Its GUI is beautiful, and options are decent. It does offer the ability to disable cores to overclock higher, which could be very beneficial in games. AMD recently updated the platform so that HEDT doesn't have to be enabled for the program to launch.
The Ryzen 5 1500X has a TDP of 65W (similar to the 1700) while the 1600X has a TDP of 95W. The system has also changed between the 1700 old result and the newer 1500X and 1600X from a high-performance X370 chipset motherboard to a B350 chipset motherboard.
VRM efficiency does play a role in overall CPU power consumption numbers, a few watts here and there could be gained or lost.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The CPUs and Packaging]
- Page 3 [Wraith Max and Test Setup]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 7 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of the Singularity]
- Page 8 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MSI's new GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO teased
- Burnout Paradise Remastered debuts to PC August 21st
- Little Nightmares developers announce 1 million units sold
- Blizzard say Overwatch port to Switch is completely feasible
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider weapons revealed through trailer
- Fnatic Flick 2 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- Buy (3) Apple iPhone X $1.947 (Buy on our www .BizFests.com)
- Buy (3 Pieces) Apple iPhone X (A1865/A1901) New $1.947
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080: What We Know So Far
- Can't get RAM to run at rated speeds with XMP
- Road Redemption Coming This Fall to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch
- PROZE: a VR survival adventure announcement trailer
- Let's Ragnarok! Legend of Solgard Launches worldwide on Mobile
- Snail Games Soft Launches My Dino in Canada