It has been quite some time since Plextor has given us anything to rave about. We are very happy with the M8PeY mainly because it delivers exceptional moderate workload performance. It also did extremely well with our brutal Sledgehammer test.
These results are testament that Marvell's "Eldora" NVMe controller is indeed a force to be reckoned with. The Eldora controller is a cut above most, because it employs a highly advanced LDPC (low-density parity check) ECC engine. LDPC has lower overhead than standard BCC bit correction and at the same time extends the life of the drives flash array in comparison to BCC bit correction.
We are a bit disappointed that Plextor does not have their own NVMe driver because as we showed with our PCMark 8 storage testing, the M8Pe will greatly benefit from using an other-than Windows 10 NVMe driver. Never-the-less, even with the standard Windows 10 NVMe driver the M8Pe is capable of delivering top notch performance that will have your PC running like a champ whether it be an Intel or AMD Ryzen rig.
We like the fact that Plextor chose to go with high quality Toshiba 15nm MLC flash instead of TLC or even 3D TLC flash. MLC flash performs significantly better than TLC flash in any flavor especially over a Gen3 x4 PCIe interface.
In the case of the M8PeY variant, the drive comes with the best heat sink we've ever seen. There is no way the drive will ever get hot enough to throttle with a half-pound of solid aluminum sucking the heat away. The drive has a sleek attractive look to it that is sure to please.
Plextor's M8PeY M.2 with AIC NVMe PCIe SSD is TweakTown recommended.
- Moderate Workload Performance
- Premium Components
- Sleek Design
- Sequential Write
- Transfer Rate
Product Summary Breakdown
|Overall TweakTown Rating||94%|
The Bottom Line: It's all about moderate workload performance, and the Plextor M8PeY delivers the goods.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Drive Specifications, Pricing & Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & Drive Properties]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks – ATTO & Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark & AS SSD]
- Page 6 [Benches (OS) - Vantage, PCMark 7, PCMark 8 & SYSmark 2014 SE]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Secondary) - IOPS, Response & Transfer Rate]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) – PCMark 8 Extended]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) – 70/30 Mixed Workload]
- Page 10 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP)]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Anthem made $3.5 million in microtransactions
- Nintendo's top 10 best-selling Indie titles on the Switch
- Official Assassin's Creed III Remastered PC specs revealed
- Streamer beats 5 Soulsborne games with no hits by enemies
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Cuphead's should join the roster
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- ASUS Prime X-470 Pro very long POST / Windows boot time
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced