Basically, with this test, I'm looking to see if the router will lock up if enough sessions are pushed through the hardware. Starting at 32 sessions, the Velop has no issues starting out at 921 Mbps.
Moving through 128 sessions, we stay in the 850 Mbps range and continuing through 512 sessions, we drop to just 654 Mbps. At 1000 sessions, the Velop did not crash, but only offered 44 Mbps.
Back at the end of 2016, I reviewed the Amplifi HD from Ubiquiti. That being my first look at Mesh Wi-Fi, it blew me away at the promise this technology holds. To this point, I have now tested three additional systems, and honestly, the Linksys Velop is right up with the Amplifi HD in my mind. Starting with build quality, I'm happy with the Velop; the plastics feel quite durable, the mesh lets a bit of heat through, and they have a matte finish.
The performance was a bit different to test with the band steering feature locked on so we have a lot of details on the 5GHz performance but nothing on the 2.4GHz. Going by specifications, it's not a very high-performance band at 400 Mbps, but you could reasonably expect to see a good deal of range from it. With that said, LAN performance was topping out at 936 Mbps, and 5GHz wireless throughput took over top honors at 569 Mbps.
In our mobile throughput testing, our iOS device did slightly better at 545 Mbps while the Android did 334 Mbps. Lastly, we did a bit of throughput vs. range with the 5GHz band and found the Velop to do quite well out to 20 Ft holding most of its throughput with 30Ft dropping off slightly to 322 Mbps.
Adding to this experience is the app. I believe this is only the second solution I have tested that hasn't had a WebGUI, and so far, both experiences have been good. Linksys has brought a lot of their Smart Wi-Fi control to the app so you get the dashboard to see what your router is doing and all the controls for devices, ports and controlling what your kids are doing are there at your fingertips.
Adding to all of this is the system's flexibility. You don't have to go all in at $500 to get Velop. You can start small with a single node and work your way as your network grows or as your budget allows.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Overall TweakTown Rating||95%|
The Bottom Line: With its overall quality, flexibility, and solid performance, it's rather hard to look past the value in the Velop Mesh system from Linksys.
PRICING: You can find the Linksys Velop Mesh Whole Home Wireless System for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Linksys Velop Mesh Whole Home Wireless System retails for $500 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Linksys Velop Mesh Whole Home Wireless System retails for £500 at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Pricing, Availability, and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Router Details]
- Page 3 [Management GUI Details]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup & Benchmark Throughput Tests]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sessions & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Black Friday Sales: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe & More
- NVIDIA's new GeForce Game Ready 416.94 drivers released
- NVIDIA announces Quadro RTX 4000: Turing goes single-slot
- US rapper Soulja Boy announces his own... CONSOLE?!
- Overwatch update adds Ashe, balances everything else
- ASRock DeskMini 310 SFF PC Review
- Q87m-e/csm & ddr3 1600 ram
- Intel Core i9-9980XE Extreme Edition Review
- Convert MBOX File Format to PST Format
- OLM to PST Converter
- 'Ring of Elysium' launches three-tier security system
- eZuce Vibe is Powered by Oracle Cloud and Now Available in the Oracle Cloud Marketplace
- GlobalSign Launches Global Partner Program to Advance Enterprise Growth
- ADAMA and Pessl Instruments Signed Agreement for Global Partnership
- TYAN Showcases HPC, Storage and Cloud Server Platforms