ASUS's Crosshair VI Hero's UEFI is easy to use for overclocking. Their UEFI automatically sets 1.45v and LLC when you set a multiplier of 40x, and that is the top level of VDD that AMD recommends for short term overclocks. Setting AI OC Tuner to DOCP (AMD's version of XMP) makes it very easy to overclock your memory and will automatically set memory frequency, timings, and voltage.
I measured the voltage that ASUS's motherboard provides, and I have to say that CPU-Z's reading is too high, when I see 1.52v I am actually at 1.45v. ASUS is also increasing the SOC voltage to 1.18v.
The Ryzen 7 1700X overclocks to the same levels as the 1800X, 4GHz on all cores stable is possible. However, I was also able to boot into Windows at 4.1GHz on all cores, but it was only stable enough to take a screenshot. I couldn't boot 4.1GHz on all cores with the 1800X. The 1700X overclocks like the 1800X, and that is a big deal since frequency is the only difference between the two CPUs.
The 1700 does overclock, but it's not as good at overclock both the CPU and memory as the 1700X and 1800X. The 1800X could handle the 2933MHz memory, and 4GHz CPU overclock with ease, while the 1700X needed a bit more tuning, but the 1700 couldn't produce the same overclocking results on the memory side. It actually couldn't even overclock the memory to 2933MHz, the best I could do was 2667MHz, but my sample could be to blame.
Regardless, the 1700 overclocks all the way to 4GHz on the core, and that is very fast, considering you will get 1800X 4GHz performance at a much lower price.
Ryzen Master is AMD's CPU overclocking tool similar to their WattMan CPU overclocking tool, for overclocking the CPU in Windows. Its GUI is beautiful, and options are decent. It does offer the ability to disable cores to overclock higher, which could be very beneficial in games.
The 1700 has a TDP of 65W while the 1700X and 1800X have a TDP of 95W, that difference can be measured quite easily, and the 1700 shows much lower CPU power draw which also affects total system power draw.
The power draw of the 1700X is much closer to that of the 7700K than the 6900K.
PRICING: You can find the AMD Ryzen 7 1700 CPU for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The AMD Ryzen 7 1700 CPU retails for $330 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The AMD Ryzen 7 1700 CPU retails for £330 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The CPUs and Test Setup]
- Page 3 [Out of the Box Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 4 [Out of the Box Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 5 [Out of the Box Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 6 [Out of the Box Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of Singularity]
- Page 7 [Clock for Clock Performance: CINEBENCH, wPrime, and AIDA64]
- Page 8 [Clock for Clock Performance: Handbrake Video Transcoding, ScienceMark, and SuperPI]
- Page 9 [Clock for Clock Synthetic Gaming Performance: UNIGINE and 3DMark]
- Page 10 [Clock for Clock Gaming Performance: Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, GTA:V, Ashes of Singularity]
- Page 11 [Overclocking and Power Consumption]
- Page 12 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ROME: Total War is coming to iPhone, August 23rd
- Micron Outs In-House High Performance NVMe SSD Controller
- Silicon Motion Details SM2270 Enterprise SSD Controller
- Fullbright's Gone Hone will debut to the Nintendo Switch
- Dr. Strange/Avengers buildings spotted in Spider-Man trailer
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080: What We Know So Far
- Can't get RAM to run at rated speeds with XMP
- Buy (2 Pieces) Apple iPhone X (A1865/A1901) New $1,398
- Buy (10 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $1,500
- Buy (5 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $1,150
- Let's Ragnarok! Legend of Solgard Launches worldwide on Mobile
- Snail Games Soft Launches My Dino in Canada
- Razer NOMMO Pro is Available For Purchase
- Beat-'Em-Up Coffee Crisis Out On Xbox One Today
- New World Boss Karanda Coming to Black Desert Online SEA