CPU Overclocking effect on FPS
Even with the power of the AMD Athlon X2 and Intel Extreme Edition processors, we still find ourselves hitting a CPU limitation in a lot of our benchmarks. That is, the graphics cards have more performance to give but the processor is letting the team down.
By overclocking the processor we can see what kind of a performance increase we get. When something isn't CPU limited the performance increase isn't all that major but when we do have a CPU bottleneck, every MHz extra we can get can show us an excellent jump in performance.
The Athlon X2 3800+ was increased from 2GHz to 2.35GHz with a slight increase in the front side bus utilizing the stock X2 HSF.
At the lower resolution where the CPU is under more load we can see that the overclock gave us a nice little increase with the 1600 x 1200 result being quite minor.
3DMark05 yields excellent performance with the CPU overclock receiving a 1000 point increase at the lower resolutions and an 800 point increase at the higher resolution. With some more tweaking and time on your hands you should be breaking records in no time.
As we mentioned early Far Cry really felt the CPU limitation and with a slight increase in FSB we got another 6 FPS bringing us to over 90FPS. As you can see though, with the performance being so close at both resolutions when overclocked we are still CPU limited even with overclocking in play.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Did Blizzard just tease the 30th hero for Overwatch?
- Overclockers UK unveils $43,000 gaming PC: 8Pack Orion X2
- NZXT releases Overwatch-themed H500 PC gaming chassis
- NVIDIA reportedly launching GeForce GTX 1650 next month
- No, AMD didn't just drop the price of Radeon RX Vega 56
- Intrusive Ads on Tweaktown
- AxE: Alliance vs Empire preview: MMO mobile chaos
- random shutdown
- Kensington LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dock Review
- Compatibility issue P10S-M-DC with i5
- LG Innotek Begins Mass Production of 'ToF Module' for Smart Phones
- Puma And The Tetris Company Announce Partnership That Is Sure To Spark Nostalgia
- Embrace Your Dark Side - Daedalic Entertainment Announces New Tactical RPG Iratus: Lord of the Dead
- New Devespresso and Headup Collaboration: 'Vambrace: Cold Soul' Coming Soon to PC & Consoles
- Hadean Integrates Distributed Simulation Technology Powered By Microsoft Azure