Packaging and Overview
ASRock's box design is pretty much identical to that of the rest of their Z270 Fata1lty lineup; the glossy red and black box conveys a stylistic approach to motherboard packaging. The packaging itself is well done; the motherboard is strapped into a foam tray and protected by an anti-static bag.
The accessory package includes manuals, a postcard, driver DVD, four SATA6Gb/s cables, SLI HB bridge, SLI bridge, IO shield, two WIFI antennas, M.2 screws, and an ASRock case badge.
The Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming i7 offers five fan headers. ASRock offers auto-sensing to determine if the fan is DC or PWM on the four headers circled in orange or blue. The single header circled in green is the CPU fan header and is designed for PWM fans. The headers circled in blue can provide up to 1.5A output, while the rest support up to 1A.
The red and black color theme of the motherboard is well executed. Hints of red on the shields, the PCH heat sink, and the PCB match the red VRM heat sink. The red is much closer to a crimson red color than the picture might lead you to believe. The back of the motherboard isn't bare of components, the SuperIO, USB 3.1 controller, one of the SATA6Gb/s controllers, and a nuvoton IC are all located on the rear of the PCB.
The rear IO panel features a clear CMOS button, four USB 3.0 ports, PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse, WIFI connectors, HDMI, DisplayPort, two Intel 1Gbit LAN ports, one 5Gbit LAN port (red), USB 3.1 type-A, USB 3.1 type-C, gold plated audio outputs, and S/PDIF optical.
The PCI-E layout is as follows; the three x16 slots that have metal shielding are connected to the CPU's x16 PCI-E 3.0 lanes. They operate at x16/x0/x0, x8/x8/x0, or x8/x4/x4. The single x16 slot that is not shielded is wired PCI-E 3.0 x4 to the PCH and supports NVMe boot devices. There is also a single PCI-E 3.0 x1 slot. The motherboard supports a total of 10 SATA6Gb/s ports; two ASMedia controllers provide the four extra ports since the PCH only offers one.
The motherboard has three PCI-E 3.0 x4 M.2 slots (they also support SATA type drives), and they do share bandwidth with the SATA ports. Connector M2_1 shares with SATA3_0 and SATA3_1, M2_2 shares with SATA3_4 and SATA3_5, and M3_3 shares with SATA3-3.
The motherboard has one vertical USB 3.0 connector located below the 24-pin power connector and two USB 3.0 internal headers. The motherboard does have some overclocking features, such as the XMP switch that will enable XMP memory profiles without requiring BIOS entry.
Overclocking features including power, reset, clear CMOS, dual BIOS ROMs, and a POST code display are all present. An RGB LED header is present right under the POST Code display. Three USB 2.0 internal headers sit near a ThunderBolt GPIO header.
All of the motherboard's heat sinks and shields use screws, except for the heat sinks for the 5Gbit NIC, which just uses an adhesive pad.
PRICING: You can find the ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming i7 Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming i7 Motherboard retails for $334 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming i7 Motherboard retails for £375 at Amazon UK.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming i7 Overview]
- Page 3 [ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming i7 Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming i7 Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Far Cry New Dawn official PC requirements released
- 2K and NBA to smooth over $1b rights extension deal
- Death Stranding demo leaves Guerrilla Games 'so impressed'
- Capcom showcase 'Tofu' in Resident Evil 2 Remake screenshots
- COD: Black Ops 4 - Blackout Battle Royale mode goes F2P
- HP EX950 SSD Review - When you want the fastest
- Pcie M.2 NVMe (1100mb/s as storage, 400mb/s in os)
- Nokia's Service Operations Center powers Telefonica UK's drive towards customer-centric operations
- Black Desert Online's Battle Royale mode enters Early Access today
- Roblox hires British online safety expert Laura Higgins to lead new digital civility initiative
- HyperX Announces 2019 We're All Gamers Ad Campaign Including Celebrity Influencers Post Malone, Gordon Hayward, Joel Embiid, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pokimane, Shroud, Daigo, De'Aaron Fox and Rush
- Macrotis: A Mother's Journey Releases this upcoming February 8th!